BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Lets put together a list of all the cheapest prices for parts...
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lets put together a list of all the cheapest prices for parts...
 Login/Join

posted
I am excited!
Just got a great price on some MBZ stuff-
$38 IP vacuum shutoff, $10 vacuum pump rebuild kit, $9 oil filter
http://www.autohausaz.com/
No $hipping over $50, and no sales tax (if you don't live in AZ)

$10 barrel pump, $53 Mityvac (durable metal) at Harbor Freight,
cheap plastic Mityvac $35 at Sears

Hopefully you all DIYers know about Dana-
$65 heated fuel pickup, delivered (not on his web site yet) and a heated filter to come...
http://danalinscott.netfirms.com

for all your MBZ tech needs-
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/index.php3

Racors are cheap on Ebay

Free 50 gal steel drums from Lipton!

My interest is in cheapest prices for Veg Heads!
Lets put together a list...

posted Hide Post
I have found www.surpluscenter.com a valuable resource for gauges, heat exchangers, etc. I also use www.usplastics.com for my urethane fuel line. Napa is a good resource for facet pumps and jcwhitney is a good resource for the pollak valves. All I can think of right now.

Location: Southington, OH | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you organize your material into threads I can add it to the FAQ's. I have done this a bit already. Please divide into following catagories

Inexpensive equipment for:
1. parts that are specific to Mercedes. Another thread for Ford, another for Toyota etc etc.
2. building equipment for collecting WVO
3. building a generic WVO auto

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
McMaster for hard to find stuff, especially unique fittings.

This is a great idea...
The cheaper we can put these things together the better the movement. I wish there was a cheaper source for solenoids... then again I haven't spent the time roving the junk car lots.

2003 VW Jetta GLS TDI Wagon:
Looped returns after filters, 2 Micron Racor, Nylon 6 HIH, Veg Therm, Nichrome Wrap, B100 when over 50 F.
1989 Chevy 2500, 6.2 L, V8, both tanks looped, copper HIH.
B50 when over 50F

Location: Moretown, Vermont | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loopcloser:
McMaster for hard to find stuff, especially unique fittings.

This is a great idea...
The cheaper we can put these things together the better the movement. I wish there was a cheaper source for solenoids... then again I haven't spent the time roving the junk car lots.

I don't know about your area, but here in Denver there are 4 self-service scrapyards, and I can count on any of them to have at least 2 solenoids from dual-tank Fords. They cost between $1.50 and $3.00. Of course it only takes 2 minutes to remove it, but gasoline stinks, so be careful. Wink

Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: June 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cheap stuff, check out my post on the tp filter. also the neat switches and nicrome wire and 12volt fan and heatshield found inside your typical $3 junkstore hairdrier

1983 datsun 720, sd22 "GOIN'ON GREASE"

Location: orlando,fla | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
i only have one, so i dont want to cut it open, does anyone know whats inside an old car airconditioners freon sight?resivoir bottle? it is some type of steel,looks like it will hold about 18 oz or so of oil for preheating in. small, neat, easy to attatch fuel lines to...

Location: orlando,fla | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hmm, will those thich heavy a/c lines work for veggie, ill let you know, i guess

posted Hide Post
would $10 irrigation sprinkler valves work on veggie and diesel??? i know they work great on my 80 psi air cannon,oops, line launching device. anyone need a rope or antenna wire 300 ft in a tree??

posted Hide Post
Folks are checking out the Racor 500FG-
here they are brand new: $120
http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/customer/search.php?substring=racor

posted Hide Post
if you need to burn svo, fiberglass tiki torch wicks that burn svo in a beancan burner are about $3 at home depot

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powersavers:
if you need to burn svo, fiberglass tiki torch wicks that burn svo in a beancan burner are about $3 at home depot

What's a beancan burner? Did a google search that came up with a mention of it but nothing more.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would take bean can to be the same as a tiki torch. Since all they are is a can with conical top with wick sticking out. Of course I might be wrong.

90 F350 7.3 IDI
95 Chevy PU 4x4 wrecked
86 300SDL sold
83 240D Euro sold
81 VW Rabbit sold

Location: Sierra Blanca, Tx USA | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
charles got it(hey, my name is charles,too,hi charles)open a can of beans, but only leave 2-3 little tabs holding the lid on. pour them into a small pot. poke a hole in the center of the beancan lid and force 1/2 of the fiberglass wick($3.00, home depot, cut in half,perfect size),through the bottom of the hole, leaving the tail in the can, and about 1/2'' wick on top. kinda crumble and spread the top of the wick a little, fill the can up with cooking oil,be sure to soak the top of the wick and generally get oil everywhere, then light it with a small propane torch or a piece of 12volt heated nicrome wire. you can use matches or a lighter, but cooking oil is kinda stubborn to start. much easier with the torch for a few seconds.then when it gets going, place under a little wire rack, supported to put your pot of beans on to heat, while you sit back, almost in caveman awe, and watch the flame flickering. as far as i know, you must use a fiberglass wick,and they are kinda stubborn the first few burns, just ruffle the end some more if it goes out.i am burning nonhydrogenated soybean oil just fine. dont worry, if you just have a few very small tabs holding the lid, the can will never get hot or self ignite. if it ever did, and mine hasnt, without lots of help,anyway. just let it sit and burn, or place a larger can over it. even if you kick it over, i did once, the oil wont ignite on a hard surface, ie, not on leaves or cloths,please. hardwood,concrete,dirt,etc are all safe, so is the truck bumper, for tailgate parties,lol. the wicks i use are lamplight farms lifetime fiberglass patio torch replacement wicks www.lamplightfarms.com

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
you can make it burn better with a chimney made of 3-4 inch galvanized stovepipe,placed over the beancan, with a small airgap left in the bottom Wink

posted Hide Post
#3 for JMJ:
Surplus Center for gauges, and other devices (for making a wvo auto)

2003 VW Jetta GLS TDI Wagon:
Looped returns after filters, 2 Micron Racor, Nylon 6 HIH, Veg Therm, Nichrome Wrap, B100 when over 50 F.
1989 Chevy 2500, 6.2 L, V8, both tanks looped, copper HIH.
B50 when over 50F

Location: Moretown, Vermont | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i wanted to bring this thread back to life.... good info

posted Hide Post
Local car wash for free 7 gallon, thick walled cubies.

Brian Keese
81 Isuzu Pup 4x4
WVO

Location: Indiana, USA | Registered: September 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$8-15 110V or 220V in-tank water heater element

This filter is a tad more expensive than buying the parts and building one urself but more than half the price of the frybrid or greaseworks sandwhich design.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Remote-Thermostatic-Oil-...dZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V