BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    HELP! Greasecar troubleshooting

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! Greasecar troubleshooting
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone, I recently converted my 1989 Mercedes 190d to run on WVO using the greasecar kit. I ran it for about 500 miles with no problems when I started losing power very quickly on grease mode. I replaced the veg filter and it did not help at all. The car suddenly stalls after about 30 seconds when running on grease mode. It runs fine on diesel and it purges well. I looked in the tank on purge mode and fuel is definitely running backwards so it seems like there is no major obstruction. Should I try to replace the filter again? I bled the fuel lines after installing so there shouldnt be any air bubbles...

Any ideas?

Location: USA-MA | Registered: July 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We don't know how your fuel lines are plumbed. In addition to the "veg filter" that you have replaced, what other filters does the WVO run through? Perhaps the main engine (standard) fuel filter? Replace it if so -- and maybe replace it anyway, as it's cheap and rules that out. Your power loss definitely sounds like a fuel starvation problem, particularly where you are not having issues when running diesel. Diesel may be able to pass through a filter which WVO cannot.

Cheers, John
Former 1998 Mercedes E300 WVO driver

posted Hide Post
I have it plumbed according to the greasecar instructions for mercedes, so grease travels
tank-> grease filter-> solenoid-> lift pump-> IP. It doesn't go through the diesel filter at all. As I said, it purges well all the way to the grease tank so there shouldn't be any obstruction in the line. With this plumbing, I don't think the grease filter gets purged

ImageGreasecar_MB_Schematic.jpg (40 Kb, 6 downloads)

posted Hide Post
I might be able to troubleshoot this problem with you...but doesn't greasecar offer after the sale assistance?

My best guess with the available information is that your VO filter (in the conversion) may not be getting hot enough due to a vapor lock in the coolant line that feeds the filter heater wrap. Is the copper coil getting hot after the engine is up to operating temp? An unheated VO filter will act plugged since the fat it contains can coat the element so much that heated VO won;t flow through it enough to melt that fat coating.

danalinscott@yahoo.com

posted Hide Post
Everything is definitely getting hot.

My next guess is that I've got dreaded polymerization happening and it has gotten into fuel line before the filter and its enough to limit the flow of fuel. So....I think I'm going to replace the PEX fuel line and scrub the tank with steel wool