Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tank Gummed Up
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone, I have not visited the forum in a few years, but I garnered enough info here previously to equip an old 190D to run straight veggie with a two tank system for well over 100,000 miles with no ill effects. I only scrapped the car because various parts were getting so worn out it was not financially feasible to keep it running. I saved all of my veggie components which prompts my visit today. I have a Dodge Dakota with a transplanted OM617 that I plan to run on veggie. However, the tank I pulled from the 190D was showing signs of fuel starvation when less than half full. It's a veggietanksplus.com tank with a welded in anti slosh box which I bet has some gummy build up in it's openings. What do you all think I could soak in that tank to dissolve any blockages?

posted Hide Post
I've used the purple power degreaser on gummed up stuff. Got it at auto zone. Not running grease here anymore, sold the Jetta, but did get a 2016 baby duramax GMC Canyon, will probaby never see a drop of veg. Red Face)

Merk
2016 GMC Canyon, 2.8 4 Cyl Duramax

Location: Etna, NH | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Merc, that's the first thing I will try.

posted Hide Post
Other solvents include biodiesel and kerosene. But FWIR, Purple Power undiluted worked best.
You'll want to use at least a gallon and let in soak as long as possible.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post