Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

oil spray undercoating
 Login/Join

posted
Been many years since last on, did some searches and found very little on undercoating/oil spraying.

Question: Where do things stand on using WVO for undercoating/oil spraying. I know they are technically different, but want to hear whatever experiences are out there on either. I do have a well used commercial paint sprayer and wand that works well spraying concrete forms with a heater.
Thanks so much George

also, anyone know where "eudeman" went?

Location: metcalfe,on,canada | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi George:

Based upon the effects of numerous spills and in general the mess this stuff creates, I would assume there would be some distinct issues with using WVO as an undercoating.

1. The main benefits to most undercoating's is their ability to "creap" into all the nooks and crannies. Even heated, WVO would probably be too viscose for this purpose.

2. WVO and especially the glycerin content functions well as a solvent. What effect that would have on the vehicles original coatings and or externally lubricated parts (suspension parts, driveline universal joints, emergency brake cables etc.) would be a concern.

3. WVO when left open to the air eventually polymerizes, leaving a gooey residue that would, if left, make an unholy mess that would be very difficult to remove.

4. Have you ever smelled WVO that has gone skanky? The smell is evil. Is that something you would want around your car?

5. Small animal and insect control around your car would be interesting.

Of all the things that WVO could be used for, IMHO, undercoating is probably not advisable.

See that your just down the road from me. I'm in Manotick. We should try to get together for coffee.

Bill

91 Buick Roadmaster wagon, GM 6.2 diesel conversion (gone but not forgotten
89 GMC 6.2 (Just got rid of the last pieces)
84 Mercedes 300D (gone to the great autobahn in the sky)
94 Cadillac Fleetwood (Sold before I could convert it)

Location: Manotick, Ontario Canada | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spray on biodiesel glycerol as an undercoating in a water solution with a pressure washer. It's pH basic and it inhibits rust. Of course it has to be renewed occasionally, but works just fine otherwise. I had initially used it as a cleaner and then discovered the coating that remained was beneficial.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post