BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    How to dissolve polymerized SVO?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to dissolve polymerized SVO?
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know what chemical will dissolve polymerized SVO?
I believe my inline Benz 603 IP is gunked up with it after I was unable to purge. 4 out of 6 delivery valves are not squirting. I tried circulating lacquer thinner through the IP, and cranking the engine to get the thinner into the plungers and valves, but they still don't all squirt. I put some polymerized SVO in cups of lacquer thinner, alcohol and carb cleaner. The lacquer thinner seems to dissolve the gelatinous oil somewhat but not completely. The alcohol did nothing and the carb cleaner turned it into a hard black paste that is really nasty.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sfmark,

posted Hide Post
If it is still running try and do a Diesel Purge, it is a name brand flush that has you disconnect the fuel hoses and the return line and put them in a bottle of this stuff and then run the engine until it is gone. It is good stuff, and it requires some effort but it works. I like to let it idle for a little then rev the engine and repeat until the liquid is burned up.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sfmark:
Does anyone know what chemical will dissolve polymerized SVO?

A strong caustic solution of NaOH. That's the active ingredient in all the ready-made products like 'purple power' etc.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If one were to develop something that could effectively dissolve polymerized vegetable oil on surfaces and in enclosed spaces, they would revolutionize cleaning in commercial kitchens. As it is right now, products such as Purple Power, mentioned above, manual scraping, and/or heated pressure washing is what it takes to remove build up from surfaces.

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again John.
Thanks Maddasher. Not running but will try the purge as I did the other stuff.
Hope your wrong Binuya!

posted Hide Post
Was the vehicle just parked and left or was the fuel system opened to the air? I would think it unlikley that the thing would gum up unless you left it years. I have and never had a problem with that.

If it is the plungers that are stuck, just pull them out, dis assemble and clean them and shove them back in.

posted Hide Post
Ttommy, it died in my driveway while idling on SVO. I could not get it started again and tried various things. I may have let air in. I has been dead for 6 months. Other MB specific forums are pretty clear that you can remove the delivery valves on top, but if you pull out the plungers, you will lose the factory fuel quantity adjustment and then you will need to pull the IP and have a diesel shop reset it for big bucks. If I could learn how to set that myself without costly tools, I would pull the plungers.

posted Hide Post
I find it unlikley that the thing would die from Poly when it was running. IF the fuel was clean and dry, I'd think it was a virtual impossibility THB.
Have you checked the fuel system to make sure the pickup is not blocked or there is no crap in the lines that is causeing a fuel restriction. No perised soft lines leaking anywhere? Run a drum of fuel Direct into the IP so you can see there is fuel there after bleeding the IP? IF your return lines are blocked, the air may not be able to get out and the thing will not prime.

As for taking the Plungers out, I'm a bit sus on that too. I have seen people swap them on the net for larger ones and they started and ran the thing fine without having it reset. I change the fuel delivery screw on my vehicles many times without problem. Some have had a factory pressed metal cap to stop that but I got rid of it and set the fueling where I wanted. Always to give a hell of a lot better performance than what the factory had the things at.

I'd look into removing the plungers a bit more. What you read may be right but it may also be based more on Purist by the book type things rather than what works. May also depend on the pump as well.

I tend to think though that the thing stopping beacuse of getting poly in it would be a million to one shot. There would be a LOT of much more straightforward and simpe reasons for it to happen before that occoured.

posted Hide Post
Ttommy, It died probably because of running out of SVO, maybe due to a clogged filter. But.... I have directly circulated diesel through the IP in and out banjos with lots of pressure. When I crank it over, only the rear two valves squirt fuel straight up (injection lines are removed), the four front valves squirt nothing. That makes me think that the front four plungers and/or delivery valved are clogged.

posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your problems.

The best solvent for polymerized vegetable oil is bio-diesel.
I've run WVO for years in my single tank, and once ran 50% b-d and it quickly plugged my filter. I think it was because it dissolved some poly. wvo in the fuel system. I also use b-d to dissolve wvo spills on the rear of the car from spilling while filling. They are black and gummy after 6 months but do dissolve slowly with b-d.
I agree with the other poster that its unlikely the wvo polymerized in 6 months unless it was exposed to air.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

I brought home an 83 MB 300SD w a Greasecar system on it, what's a good way to clean the poly in the 10 Gallon WVO tank?

Thanks,
Dave

84 MB 300D Turbo Diesel
98.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9
96 B7100 Kubota

Location: leavittsburg,Ohio | Registered: September 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend told me to scrape & use a rag w diesel fuel or K-1. Haven't tried it yet!

84 MB 300D Turbo Diesel
98.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9
96 B7100 Kubota

Location: leavittsburg,Ohio | Registered: September 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post