Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SVO Kits
 Login/Join

posted
I have been looking around for some time for an SVO kit for my King Ranch and found an engineering company in Australia that makes the VO500 Kit. The company is called Raw Power Systems and their website and facebook looks pretty smart. What I like is they are partnering down there in Australia in power generation with Caterpillar, and they seem to have a lot of international projects. Has anyone on this forum bought their kit. Thanks Ice.

posted Hide Post
Hi Ice Man,
Welcome to the forum.
I have found the website for Raw Power Systems but I can not find any mention of the VO500 Kit.
http://www.rawpowersystems.net/

please provide a link to the VO500 Kit.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update- I have located a brief mention of the VO500 system on their facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/pages...tems/500102643469681

"The VO500 has been designed to enable diesel vehicles of engine capacities up to 500 bhp (375kW) to run on vegetable oil. The VO500 kit includes the precision engineered RPS Bio-Oil Management System comprising integrated heater, change over spool block and filter, with ancillary fittings, 6 mm hose, switch and relay. VO500 provides a simple, reliable and clean way to enable the seamless transition between diesel and vegetable oil."

No real detail given

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tilly, Thanks fro the welcomne. I saw it on their Faceook page. I did not see a reference on the website and I am assuming the VO500 is a variation of the systems that they are using for power generation and marine. Ice

posted Hide Post
IceMan
Looked at VO500 kit and, IMHO, lacks some items. In addition to the small VO filter/heat exchanger, a larger heat exchanger (FPHE) of at least 16 plate should be added to the system (VO likes heat); no mention of a hose-in-tube (HIT) or a hose-on-hose (HOH); a two tank system in cold climates need In-Tank-Heat Exchanger; a separate fuel pump (VO); will need solenoids to switch. I'm a DYI guy and have purchased items for a two tank system in the past 10 yrs on VO. PM me and I'll send a list of parts and where to purchase. Hope this helps.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Dragon Fly. I will PM you. I have been in touch with the company and will share with the forum the info they send. Ice.

posted Hide Post
Hi Dragon Fly,

I emailed a copy of your post and also some questions of my own to the company, who replied quite quickly as follows:-

1) Where the ambient is less than 20deg C (+/-) the second tank does require heating, otherwise it all goes hard. There are a number of ways in which this heating can be achieved: a mains powered heating element can be fitted in the tank, a car battery powered heater can be installed (not crash hot due to the battery capacity) or have a waste heat system taking heat from the engine (which is not necessarily such a good idea as it reduces the jacket water temperature, and can adversely affect engine performance.

2) Likewise, the fuel lines should have trace heating elements on them, but there are perfectly good suppliers like Parker Hannifin in the US that supply these, so it makes no sense for RPS to add margins to a product that can be bought locally.

3) The fuel pump is a matter of choice. We recommend a gear pump and can supply such a pump, but there are perfectly good pumps available in America that meet our requirements that can be purchased by the owner of the engine. We are happy to advise the spec.

4) Our heat exchanger will provide the necessary viscosity to replicate the diesel injection pattern with an oil arriving at its inlet at a temperature of 20 deg C or thereabouts within 7 minutes of start up. This is achieved by careful control of flow rates. The number of plates is NOT the sole arbiter of the heat transfer: temperature gradient and flow rate are also important.

5) The relay is fully integrated into the VO500. A relay is provided to permit switching on/off power supply to the pump and the VO500 from inside the cab. The VO500 has an advanced and unique fuel switching spool that needs only the thermostatic switch and the single integrated solenoid switch.

Seems like they are doing something a bit different with their main unit and users are able to buy pump and other items locally.

Ice

posted Hide Post
I see that Raw Power has put a new case auto SVO study on their website since I last looked:-

http://www.rawpowersystems.net/auto-case-study/

Ice

posted Hide Post
quote:
or have a waste heat system taking heat from the engine (which is not necessarily such a good idea as it reduces the jacket water temperature, and can adversely affect engine performance.

As a car engine has to have a radiator to get rid of excess heat, I doubt that cooling due to a fuel tank heater would present a problem. It would just mean less heat dumped by the rad.

dva

Location: Yorks,England | Registered: June 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dva is correct, any UVO heaters will not take a large percent of heat from the cooling system, especially on a big truck like yours. Most of us tee into the cab heater circuit where it comes out of the block for UVO heating.

IceMan, FYI
quote:
to place the resident asswhole troll on your ignore list so you don't see any of their abusive messages, simply click on their user name and scroll down and click to add them to your ignore list.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The replies, #1-5, have many points of debate, IMHO!

Iceman, I'd suggest reading more WVO Forums, and what other manufacturers have to offer before making any purchase of a kit. Haven't rec'd a PM from you yet. I've got the list of "off the shelf parts" for a DYI conversion, if you are still interested in receiving it.

posted Hide Post
dragonfly is correct. there is much better information at http://www.burnveg.com/forum/

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:

IceMan, FYI [QUOTE] to place the resident asswhole troll on your ignore list so you don't see any of their abusive messages, simply click on their user name and scroll down and click to add them to your ignore list.

Geez Galt, Why are you telling people to put you on their ignore list?

As the " the resident asswhole troll ", It's probably the most significant contribution you have made here, but still odd non the less.
If it's not yourself you are talking about, given your obsessive fixation with the "Ignore List" and your inability to deal with what you don't like as an adult, the person you are referring to must be on your ignore list. That being the case, how do you know they have posted? There have been no named quotes here so far so if you followed your own advise ( HA!) you wouldn't be able to see their posts if they were on your all famous parroted ignore list would you?

Once again, the biggest hypocrite and two faced clown on the forum has been caught out. What a whineing baby!

It would be a joke if it wasn't so Pathetic. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
I am not here to defend Raw Power Solutions company but I try to keep an open mind on all things. It appears from their website that they have a lot of experience in marine and power generation using SVO - and I found the case study on the Pajero interesting. They are partnering with Caterpillar power generation and I imagine that they had to jump through the hoops with Cats technical people.

I have sent a copy of this thread to the company and invited them to join the discussion. Maybe they have some good ideas. One can always learn from others, which is why I joined this forum, and simply writing replies like those below does not encourage intelligent information sharing.

"What sort of clueless moron knows so little about Vehicle engines they would write crap like that?" "I'd love to meet the idiot who wrote that and throw a few more basic questions at him and he tried to sell me one of his marvelous systems"

Looking forward to more discussion and thanks to those who have provided me with some food for thought.

Ice

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ice Man:... simply writing replies like those below does not encourage intelligent information sharing.

"What sort of clueless moron knows so little about Vehicle engines they would write crap like that?" "I'd love to meet the idiot who wrote that and throw a few more basic questions at him and he tried to sell me one of his marvelous systems".

Trolls post abusive comments like that to pull your chain, it's to get attention, much like the reasons a child misbehaves; they have no interest in intelligent information sharing. Most of us just ignore them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ice Man: simply writing replies like those below does not encourage intelligent information sharing.

"What sort of clueless moron knows so little about Vehicle engines they would write crap like that?" "I'd love to meet the idiot who wrote that and throw a few more basic questions at him and he tried to sell me one of his marvelous systems"

You're right.
It was probably not a comment by a clueless moron but one by someone who lacks basic knowledge in what they are talking about and it trying to make things up as they go along to cover their ignorance. Either that or outright misinformation with a view to an ulterior motive to sell something more profitable.

The fact remains however that it is a laughably ignorant or deliberately misleading comment and certainly undermines the credibility of anyone that wrote it and the organization they work for.
I look forward to their explanation of how a veg oil system can take too much heat from a vehicles water jacket.

Must be some HE they have, certainly one capable of transferring more heat than a vehicle radiator.
Very impressive. If it was actually capable that is.

Is it really beyond you capabilities or limitations to make your own veg system? Not like there isn't a huge amount of info out there now about it!

posted Hide Post
Interesting

I had a closer look at their site and found this nugget of information.

"The RPS2100 Technology enables RPS Approved Bio-Fuels to be used as a direct replacement for diesel fuel in stationary generators – WITHOUT THE NEED FOR CONVERSION TO BIODIESEL."

The fact that there is no conversion required to use biodiesel seems to have slipped their mind Roll Eyes

There were other statements that did seem a bit questionable but that is for another day.

PS I agree with John Galt. He is on my ignore list and I NEVER read any of his posts! Wink

PPS I just realized they have added an "auto application, Auto Case Study, and Auto FAQ" section to their website since this discussion started.

Iceman, I think you have gotten them stirred up .