BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    How to build a diesel injector pop tester
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to build a diesel injector pop tester
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The homemade testers made out of hydraulic pumps differ from the "factory" testers in that the "factory" testers provide a quick pressurized burst of fuel with each pump stroke, much like the output of the engine's IP. A hydraulic pump gives a continuous pressurized flow of fuel. Possibly this continuous flow might be able to "fool" an injector in certain situations.

Can you try short taps on the handle to try to mimic the output pattern of the IP?

Of course others have had good results using homemade pop testers, but I wanted to bring up an important difference.

My experience has been that injector peeing is caused by scored or worn needle, dirt, or needles mixed up from their matching nozzle bodies. One test is to hold the nozzle body at a 45deg angle and slightly insert the needle; it should slide all the way down until seated via its own weight, lubricated only with diesel fuel.

S. Caxambu

posted Hide Post
I had intended to build a POP tester, but never got it done. Hopefully soon.

Anyway, I would think it would be easier to observe things like a spray pattern with slower, longer pressure pulses. It might be difficult to observe fine issues with the spray pattern with only a short burst.

I assume spraying pressure is slightly lower than the peak opening pressure.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgoodwin1:
quote:
Originally posted by cgoodwin1:
I strongly caution everyone here to take great care using and building these devices. After high pressure grease guns and paint guns, diesel injection is the third most common injury from high pressure injection. The fluid will leave only a pin hole in the skin but the fluid in the tissue will kill everything it touches and possibly enter the blood stream. A tech I worked with had his thumb amputated from diesel injection.

Here is a photo of the internal damage and tissue necrosis from an injection injury, the outward damage was a pin hole at first...

Take great care playing with high pressure fluids my friends.

posted Hide Post
I just registered to say thank you for the warning, also I never knew about the grease guns or paint guns danger either.

After reading this post, I scrapped my plan to make one from a bottle jack (required some welding) and will be making one from a porta power as shown here.

Also I plan to build a safety shield out of plexiglass to put between me and the tool. (not sure how thick the plexiglass needs to be, or if I need to use a special type or anything.)

I would still need to reach around the glass with my hand to work the pump though, I am thinking the following:

1. get some kind of industrial heavy duty gloves that would protect my hand and arm, maybe heavy duty chemical gloves or something?

2. put a slit through the glass just big enough to work the pump handle up and down, and put some kind of flexible shroud, like car shifters have a rubber boot type of thing.

3. or I could weld onto the pump handle so that it forms an "L" shape so it can come around the corner of the glass and I can pump it from there.

I just want to make sure that we stay safe while using the tool, but I still fully intend to build one, just because there is many things in life that can be dangerous if you don't use the proper safety and precaution (like getting under a vehicle that is not supported by jack stands.)