BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    How to build a diesel injector pop tester
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to build a diesel injector pop tester
 Login/Join

posted
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=...highlight=pop+tester

How to build a diesel injector pop tester

found this great read
have fun
Omar
www.omarsales.com

Location: Kirkland | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is my homemade pop tester made from parts I bought used on ebay (like a portapower), a 3000psi guage, an injector line for free from a junkyard, and a clear salsa jar it sprays into:

Here is a thread where I discuss building and using the pop tester for my new nozzles:
Replace injector nozzles, set pop pressure, big improvement!

I highly recommend getting your injectors pop tested, it made a big difference for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SunWizard,

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunwizard, that looks to be the easiest homemade pop tester I've seen yet, will have to keep it in mind if I ever build one.

90 F350 7.3 IDI
95 Chevy PU 4x4 wrecked
86 300SDL sold
83 240D Euro sold
81 VW Rabbit sold

Location: Sierra Blanca, Tx USA | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's another one built from new HarbourFreight/PrincessAuto parts for less than $50:

http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17870

Be sure to keep safety in mind when building or operating one of these. Only use fittings rated to the appropriate pressures (hardware store brass ones won't be). Fuel at this pressure will easily penetrate your skin, resulting in injuries that typically necessitate amputation.

posted Hide Post
here is the info bob
Wink
Omar

Location: Kirkland | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I talked to my GM mechanic, who I brought my 87 Mercedes in for replacing driveshaft bearing and tranny mount... and asked about popping my injectors. He said they send injectors out, but nowadays the injectors are too high tech we just replace them. Somewhere around here is an old pop tester.. He found it and gave it to me. I asked about when he'd need it back, and he just shrugged, "hang on to it I'll let you know."

That's how I got my industrial grade pop tester. And yes, you can drive a car over it without harming it. I took it apart flushed it, put it back together and pop pop pop... we go. How lucky is that?

Around here, veggy cars are so novel I find people tripping over themselves to "help out". It's really quite amazing.

Regards,
Scott
1987 Mercedes 300D - 2 tank VO

Location: Edmonton | Registered: April 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Where in the world did you get the 1/4'' Male NPT to 6mm Male Compression fitting adapter? I have my own unit built with the exception of that adapter.

posted Hide Post
Science and Energy,

I have all of the parts assembled for my tester also, with the exception of the adapter. The piece that my injector line connects to is from a C223 Isuzu pump and appears to be 14mm with 1.5 threads. Please let me know what you find out on the adapter. I did find another link where someone used a #6 ORB x ¼ NPT adapter. Here is the link: http://www.princessauto.com/hy...017692-female-x-male Not sure what #6 ORB stands for?

Bradform

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Science And Energy:
Where in the world did you get the 1/4'' Male NPT to 6mm Male Compression fitting adapter?

www.mcmaster.com

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile

posted Hide Post
McMaster-Carr had it in a 6mm to 1/8''. I got that and just used an adapter. my pressure tester works but doesn't hold th pressure to well. I guess there is some leak internally but I cant figure out where it would be. My old nozzles sprayed good but opened at 1800 each. I put in the Monarks I bought anyway and bumped it to 2130. I figure as they break in and the surfaces wear, the pressure should only go down and I did want to go a little higher anyway.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Science And Energy:
I guess there is some leak internally but I cant figure out where it would be.

If 0-ring is OK leak is between inside (clip before) and outside,AND two holes you should well close.Also help puting teflon tape on top cap couple with inside cylinder.That help in my case.

sorry for my English
KEEP IT SIMPLE ALWAYS if YOU CAN

Location: Europe | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

2010 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Here's my pop tester, many thanks to Sunwizard for engineering this line which works fabulously. A few additions and a few more I will make next time. A fuel filter just keeps the risk of particles down and keeps a supply of fuel once air is bled. Next time I will try to find an 18mm helicoil and seal it with silicone to fit my jar lid because vapors still escape even with the right tap size (only revealed in diffused sunlight). My injectors top spec is 1847psi. All would have passed with a 1.2mm shim but either a .1mm or .05mm shim more increased them all to 1980-2000psi. They were atomizing cloud spray. Denso makes a nice nozzle, Monark unfortunately doesn't make 1 for my injectors. All my fittings came out of the NAPA Weatherhead catalog, the critical injector line fitting was M12 X 1.5 to 4 AN. Then from 4 AN to 1/4 pipe which was all sealed with permatex red thread locker. But the final compression fitting doesn't need sealant. That allows me to easily change it for a different injector.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muzak,

Save your oil - Fuel the planet
Dodge TD 50 2.3L '85 4D55 block; 4D56 head; HP injectors
4D56 2.5L water cooled turbo;
Racor coolant HE tank heater
Custom built 15A ILH.
supplying SWEP FPHE;
SVO; Greasecar tank custom system
MBZ 300TDT Elsbett single tank system. Racor 345RC coolant head filter; SWEP 30 plate FPHE vegtherm
Dino/VO blend main tank.

Triple barrel gravity settling
120 gal final phase aluminum tank.
Graco blue devil transfer pump

Location: Sonoma Coast Northern California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
definitely one of the coolest threads ive seen on this site.

I wish i had the time to test my 6.2l injectors with the blend i use.
unfortunately i may just have to by some rebuilt ones for now.

Please someone test a 6.2l injector!!!!

6.2L GM 1979 K5 blazer -Single tank w/electric preheaters.
Blend =66%WVO, 33% #2 diesel .
4 100watt IP line heaters
custom 160degree 300watt racor 1000 filter heater
polyeurethane 1/2" pickup
other fuel lines flouroelastimers
plastic fuel cell , Mallory 140gph gerotor fuel pump.

OC-50 dieselcraft centrifuge run by SBC gear pump -

Location: texas | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futant:Please someone test a 6.2l injector!!!!

Test for what? Normally injectors are tested for pop pressure, drips, spray pattern, chatter noise, leaks.

S. Caxambu

posted Hide Post
I re-built my pop tester last night because my grease-gun version was too hard to use and didn't hold enough pressure. I used a 10ton Torin big red hydraulic jack. It gets up to full pressure after a new injector is put on in only 1 pull. Amazing pressure control but I'm afraid there is something wrong with my setup. I tested 4 old injectors I fear are dying and I can't get them to pop at all. They just hiss/drip/shoot a stream. They don't pop at all. Just constant flow. I fear I was pulling to fast on the pump handle bu moving as slow as I can has only caused them to drip. I even pulled another working injector out of my other 240d that is being worked on and it did the same thing.

Are all 5 of these injectors just trash completely? or is something wrong with my setup?

Living off-grid in upstate NY
--1982 240D (4spd) Dual Tank SVO
--1999 Jetta TDI Dual Tank SVO
--98 12v Cummins
--6hp Lister generator - Dual Tank SOV (for house electric/hotwater backup)

Location: Everywhere | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by svojoe:
Are all 5 of these injectors just trash completely? or is something wrong with my setup?

A good way to tell would be does a new injector nozzle pop and spray properly? When working right, it will be a real distinct pop when the right pressure is reached, and no drips before that even if you hold the pressure just below the pop.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Sun, we are on the same path, I'm using a 6hp lister genset to power my off-grid homestead until I can afford more solar panels! Smile

It sounds as if all 5 of my injectors are junk! Well the nozzles anyway. I am tempted to go out right now at night and yank a injector out of my 300d that I know has a new nozzle (1 year old) and see if it pops correctly.

You think my setup is working correctly, just that I am dealing with very old/worn out injectors? I already have 4 new nozzles on order.

Also I am in desperate need of advice in a few WVO area's I need to put a cold weather conversion on my genset and quickly, I need to convert my 97 dodge cummins before december AND the 240d I am pop testing is giving me a slew of problems in relation to starting/running hence why i am testing the injectors. Where do you think is the best resource for me to post at?

Living off-grid in upstate NY
--1982 240D (4spd) Dual Tank SVO
--1999 Jetta TDI Dual Tank SVO
--98 12v Cummins
--6hp Lister generator - Dual Tank SOV (for house electric/hotwater backup)

Location: Everywhere | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by svojoe:
Thanks so much Sun, we are on the same path, I'm using a 6hp lister genset to power my off-grid homestead until I can afford more solar panels! Smile

Way to go, I go out of my way to help my off the grid friends. I just got 2 of them running with WVO vehicles since they live much farther from town than me and save much more $ than me. Then to get them started I gave them each 100 gallons of the best VO I have, unused expired date for food canola oil. Another off the grid friend near me builds nice homemade wind generators and travels the world doing workshops on how to make them, see www.otherpower.com. He has an old lister which I give him WVO for and it loves it, runs much better than on diesel.
quote:

It sounds as if all 5 of my injectors are junk! Well the nozzles anyway. I am tempted to go out right now at night and yank a injector out of my 300d that I know has a new nozzle (1 year old) and see if it pops correctly.

You think my setup is working correctly, just that I am dealing with very old/worn out injectors? I already have 4 new nozzles on order.

Hard to say since I have only used mine. It sure seems like as long as you can produce and hold enough pressure you should be able to test, so yes they are likely bad.
quote:

Also I am in desperate need of advice in a few WVO area's I need to put a cold weather conversion on my genset and quickly, I need to convert my 97 dodge cummins before december AND the 240d I am pop testing is giving me a slew of problems in relation to starting/running hence why i am testing the injectors. Where do you think is the best resource for me to post at?

See my conversion pics, description and detailed info at:
1995 Dodge Cummins Truck, heated 2 tank, TiH, FPHE, 3 valves Its been working good for me for >4 years, and would work on your year. Congrats on getting a fine truck. Join that forum. I have several old mercedes I could give you tips about. 1st is check your glow plugs, they always go bad and even 1 being weak can make starting get bad.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
I put one together using Sunwizward's design and it works great . Thank you SW.

FWIW - updated link to the Omar's first post on this thread - ( Mercedesshop.com name changed to Peachparts.com )

http://www.peachparts.com/shop...wthread.php?t=251436

Some helpful tips =

http://www.peachparts.com/shop...2134929&postcount=23

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rkpatt,

1994 F250 IDI 7.3 NA E4OD

Remember that the forum search/"find" feature does not include the archives . Search the forum archives here-

http://www.biodieseldiscussion.com/forums/search.php