Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
Getting back into SVO after 6 years

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/5787042183

March 26, 2017, 11:51 AM
billyO
Getting back into SVO after 6 years
Hello all. About 10-12 years ago I turned my 5.9L cummins diesel into a 2 tank system and ran on WVO for about 6 years. I still have the vehicle, but stopped using the SVO system about 6 years ago, took the tank out of the bed and unfortunately wasn't smart enough to clear the system with diesel before doing this. I'd like to return to SVO to burn the 400+ gallons of WVO that I still have on my property, and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I need to do. I'm assuming that I need to clean out the lines and valves and tank of probable sludge that most likely has clogged the system, but hoping that's not needed, or that it's as simple as reinstalling the tank and running a few tanks of diesel through the system (but I don't think I'm that lucky.
The truck has 397K miles on it and it needs to be my primary vehicle for probably the next few months, so I don't want to ruin the engine/injectors.
Anyone have suggestions/instructions?
Thank you.
~billyO

This message has been edited. Last edited by: billyO,

'93 Dodge 250 - 5.9L cummins, 385K. Cold-upflow settling with gravity feed through 10 and 3 micron spin-on filters (which have not needed changing for 500+ gal and counting. Hooray for cold-upflow settling! Thanks john galt! )
April 22, 2017, 09:44 PM
billyO
Anyone have advice?

'93 Dodge 250 - 5.9L cummins, 385K. Cold-upflow settling with gravity feed through 10 and 3 micron spin-on filters (which have not needed changing for 500+ gal and counting. Hooray for cold-upflow settling! Thanks john galt! )
April 27, 2017, 03:00 PM
jburke
Diesel won't remove polymerized vo.

If the fuel lines are only partially plugged,
clean svo or biodiesel will slowly dissolve the poly. wvo, given enough time.

I'd normally run wvo, and then every year or so get some biodiesel and run a tank of it.
Frequently woul dhave a plugged fuel filter after that de-polymerization.
carry a spare fuel filter.

Also I had very good luck with Lubri-Moly Diesel Purge cleaning my injectors.
It might also benefit poly'd fuel lines.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE