BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Which pressure cooker to use for my Centrifuge

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which pressure cooker to use for my Centrifuge
 Login/Join

posted
Can someone recommend a pressure cooker to use in conjuction with a PoBoy kit from WVODesigns?

I'm finally taking the plung and putting a centrifuge together. I will use it to clean WVO and WMO that I will blend with K1/RUG and burn in my truck (7.3L IDI). I've been sock filtering for a couple years, and that has worked for the WVO, but with the WMO, I'm going through a lot of fuel filters. I've been reading up on various centrifuges for years now, and I'm finally taking the plunge.

I've purchased the Po Boy kit from WVO designs. I belive it the standard bowl for the Raw Power centrifuge. I've also purchased the Feed cone power booster. I blieve that SC has a better design, but for my needs I just can't justify spending well over twice as much for the bowl. I've got a 1/3hp Leeson motor (3450 rpm) with a 5/8" shaft that should work well. I'd like to make the housing useing a pressure cooker. I like the idea of having a lid that actually seals closed. My question is this. Can anyone recommend a specific pressure cooker that works well for this? I have a large canning unit that I use to can veggies. I could buy another one of those for about $70, but it's a lot bigger than I need. I've looked at a couple of smaller pressure cookers at Wall Mart (6 qt and 8qt) and I'm concerned that they aren't quite big enough in diameter. The 8qt unit measured around 9" and cost $30. The bowl is supposed to be 8", but I don't know if that's an approx OD or an exact measurement. I would still need room to add another wall to keep the good oil seperated from the dirty oil when it shuts down, so I'm thinking 9" is too tight. So basically I liked the cost but not the size.... Story of my life... Seriously though, while cheaper is better, I don't mind the $70 price tag all that much. It's just really tall, and it would be nice to minimize any additioanl hight so that my gravity feed doesn't have to be another foot of the ground.

Thanks,
Mark

Location: SW Indiana (Brazil) | Registered: August 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a SC bowl (old design) back in 2005 or '06. Don't know how many gallons of WVO have been run through it. I used the Mirror #92112 pressure cooker - $52.10. Used a Bunn cake pan for the inner bowl, but cut down the height to fit under the CF lip. I have found that, IMHO, there is very little junk that escapes the CF bowl. On shut down there is very little junk that goes down the three inner CF drain holes. When I rebuild the CF setup, the inner bowl will be removed. I would suggest purchasing a few "sling rings" for future refurbishing. If the WVO is left to settle for a week or so before being CF'd, there should be very little junk when cleaning out the CF. I use a 60 gal poly cone barrel to the raw WVO for about one week, then gravity feed into a steel 55 gal drum and allowed to settle for another few days, then pumped up to a poly 55 gal drum laying on its side, then gravity feeds to a gate valve that regulates the flow of 1/2 gal/min., then the WVO drops into the CF bowl via a pinched off end of a 1/2" PVC pipe which is about 1/4" off the bottom. I also CF with NO HEAT as I want to remove as much of the FATS as possible. I do have pics of my set up. PM me and I'll fwd them to you. I'm computer challenged and haven't figured out how to attach pics.

posted Hide Post
I have another pressure cooker, a Presto 10 qt., 12.25"ID, 12.75 OD, 8" high, will be used for another CF system. The present CF, that I use as my workhorse, is an 8 qt. aluminum sauce pot, ID 11.75" x 6" high. Hope this helps.

posted Hide Post
thanks a lot , i appreciate this , waiting for others topic's from you
keep it going UP UP UP

posted Hide Post
Ash,
I know I'll get some flack over this post, but.....
I've used my SimpleCentrifuge bowl (old style) for almost 10 yrs and CF'd many, many gals of WVO. With that said, the usual amt of WVO cleaned at one cycle is about 40 gals. When the bowl is shut down to be cleaned, there is not much "dirt oil" that flows into the three drain holes. I've looked at the oil as it drains into the three holes and it looked quite clean. Therefore when the second is constructed, I've decided to NOT use the inner bowl and allow the "dirty oil" to drain back into the CF'd oil tank. If the "first pass" oil is really dirty, it will be cycled a second time until there is very little to be cleaned out of the bowl. I will not install the inner bowl to divert the "dregs" into another container.