Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford 6.0L PSD Conversion
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone convert a 6.0L ford PSD to WVO?? Did you have any problems?? How many miles do you have on it now?? I am looking at buying a 04-06 Ford with a 6.0L and want to convert it.

So any help will be appreciated.

posted Hide Post
Find function: like this

1984 Volvo 240
Elsbett 1 tank/glow plugs/injector nozzles/FPHE/fuel filter heater system, block heater, ILH
20%Kero, 80%WVO winter blend

Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of all the vehicles most incompatible with WVO, I would consider the 6.0 right at the top of the list.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just as the 7.3 is a great engine for vo, the 6.0 is a terrible engine for vo unless you are a mechanic who loves to constantly repair and replace parts.
If you are serious about vo as a fuel. The last year for the 7.3 engine was 2003.

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And only for about the first six months of 03.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've sold probably 30 6.0 kits (and installed several at my shop in Berkeley, including one for a Sportsmobile owned by Jimmy Buffet (and he's got a 2nd 6.0 Sportsmobile with our 6.0 kit, installed by another installer.)

We include a link to a TSB (technical service bulletin) from Ford that corrects the injector leak-down problems with the early 6.0's. If you have an early 6.0, get this done if it hasn't been done - any Ford dealer can tell you if it has, if you provide your VIN.

I agree that the 7.3 PSD's are easier to convert - we use the stock 12V pump for WVO and diesel (with a looped return on WVO, the pumps last and last) but the 6.0 needs a 23A FASS (bundled with both our 6.0 kits) for WVO.

Craig

PlantDriver
http://www.PlantDrive.com
craigreece@plantdrive.com

Land Rover Defender/Series hybrid with 300Tdi, PlantDrive system: Vormax, Vegtherm, HotFox, manual brass 6-port valve

Wife's car: 2001 New Beetle, VegMax, Vegtherm, 2 gallon donut tank for start-stop fuel and WVO in stock tank, 3 - 3-port valves, controller.

Location: Berkeley, California, USA | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the info. I will not touch the 6.0L, since many have had problems. Many people at shops tell me to steer clear. I will still look for 7.3L instead.

posted Hide Post
I've got an '05 F250 6.0L PSD with a PlantDrive conversion and I've been very happy with it. The conversion was straight forward and the kit from PD and assistance were excellent. I've been happy with the performance and have had no issues with the truck/engine related to WVO. The 6.0 gets a lot of bad press, most of it relating to the first models of the 6.0. Do a little research though and you find a lot more hype than fact. It is a good engine on a great truck that, like every other mechanical device, will take care of you if you take care of it.

All that being said, I converted my 6.0 because that is what I had. Were I to purchase a truck for the purpose of conversion I would definitely look for a 7.3.

Ben

2005 Ford F250 6.0L PSD- PlantDrive conversion

Location: Southeastern North Carolina | Registered: June 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post