Notify
Tools

Project: "Cheap as it gets"
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reinerh:
regards bleeding,

lets assume you had some air in the closed loop system, but no new air is coming in anymore.

would the air not work its way out via
injectors???
I don't think so but I could be *WRONG. I dont think the IP can push air, only fluid sooo.. the air creates a bottle neck with fuel below it not going anywhere. This thought seems to fit in with the problems you have on a diesel when you get air leaks. (fuel starvation symptoms)

*NOTE- yep I was wrong. Read on

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont think the IP can push air, only fluid sooo.. the air creates a bottle neck with fuel below it not going anywhere.

Small amounts of air CAN exit a loop via the injectors. BUT...too much air being injected causes fuel starvation...not enough fuel is being injected (since it is replaced with air) to ignite.

Also..air in the injection lines compresses...fuel does not. So any air bubbles in the injector lines screws up the injector timing substantially since the injectors react (open) to the "pulses" of pressure created by the IP in the injection lines. If the pressure pulses that the IP creates are damped by air bubbles compressing in the injector lines the injectors are not going to be opening at the proper time. That will make the engine less efficient at a minimum..and unable to continue running at all in some cases.

Location: Central MN..Brrrrrr! | Registered: November 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may have read wrong- but I for one would never count on the lil inline filters as an only fuel filter-especially on diesel. to many stations have poor filtration, and water in fuel, all kinds of nasty stories to be had on bad pump diesel. at least the veggy you know is filtered to XX microns.

And if you had a veg leak in the trunk- that was prolly a big part of your issue, as any leak that will alllow veg out will allow way more air in when under vaccum.

I have a manual 3 way valve under the hood so I can unloop the system to purge out all the air. it is connected directly to the greasecar common port to eliminate hose fittings.

I never leave home w/ out replacement filters(all 3), tools, and a can of seafoam or qt of ATF to prime the filters. just me. I dont like to be stranded.

Be the change you hope to find in this world.-Gandhi

Location: location, location... | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for Air , yes air will get pushed out through the injectors.. i can testify to this as when replumbed this and put int he new diesel filter it was empty and, how i actually got it free of air was to run it on veggie and then as going down the road, switch to diesel till it started stumblin becuase of air, then swithc back to veggie intill it ran fine again then back to diesel ,, this time its stubled just a but and all the air is out of the system.. so yes sir will get pushed out of the injectors, not huge amounts but it will get rid of air int he system.. at least it did after swapping filters the filter capacity is about 1 cup of fuel so that much air was injected out of the system through the injectors.... I have a clear hose in my system to see if air is getting in and have seen nothing after this initial purge..

My veggie leak was on the pressure side of the pump, not vacume and my issues were on diesel and veggie at one point, thats when I found the air leak.. this was due to the brittle lines that were on the car , they were original from what I can see and that makes them 24 years old.. go figure..

Not to mention the veggie leak was after all this was straightened out and running good again.. at this point I was getting no air in the system and spraying veggie all over the trunk... Some times it seams if it ain't one thing it's a diffrent thing. Ive been inspecting after every trip now for the last few days and it sees ive found al lthe gremlins so far..

Basically every line except the stock diesel fuel line from the tank to the engine compartment have been replaced and or checked for leakage. Actually I find its running better now than it was before on diesel.. so the issue was there before I acquired the car it was just not very noticable..

Time will tell however, 144 miles and counting on the setup as it is.

1993 ford Van IDI 7.3 non turbo 15k + veggie miles
1983 300d Benz Turbo diesel, dirt cheap $350 conversion
1993 Chevy 1 ton dually Crew Cab turbo diesel awaiting conversion

Ron Paul for Prez 2008!

Location: West Central Minnesota | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.. for the explanations. Great stuff. We are allways learning.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of carring ATF for priming filters as I had that issue before my solution was a bit more complicated but does the same, my filter is after my fuel lift pump and my filters have a drain valve on the bottom, and I made my fuel filter mount on a axis, using the in and out pipe as the pivot point, so I can flip the filter upside down and power the fuel pump till I purge the filter of air.. This way i get all the air out and its fairly quick and easy.. literally I would not be scared to change a filter with good clothes on.. I carry a small bucket to catch any dripping oil and hold the dead old plugged filter till i can throw it away, I also carry a old bath towel in the trunk for any spills and to wipe my hands if needed, I also carry wet wipes most of the time.

I typically carry very basic tools pliers, screw drivers, and a spare veggie filter.

Ron Paul for Prez 2008!

Location: West Central Minnesota | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ebacherville:
As for Air , yes air will get pushed out through the injectors.. i can testify to this as when replumbed this and put int he new diesel filter it was empty and, how i actually got it free of air was to run it on veggie and then as going down the road, switch to diesel till it started stumblin becuase of air, then swithc back to veggie intill it ran fine again then back to diesel ,, this time its stubled just a but and all the air is out of the system.. so yes sir will get pushed out of the injectors, not huge amounts but it will get rid of air int he system.. at least it did after swapping filters the filter capacity is about 1 cup of fuel so that much air was injected out of the system through the injectors.... I have a clear hose in my system to see if air is getting in and have seen nothing after this initial purge..

hey thats cool, i had a hunch this to be the case.

clear hose or a glass clear filter is a must to see whats going on.

thx for the good news Smile

1995 Isuzu FRR Box truck with direct injected 6 cyl 7.1 with 10000 veggie miles to date.
6 speed manual getting 12mpg average at 65mph

Location: florida | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the benz has been running GREAT.. even in the severe cold snap were having now.. like 5 degrees inthe mornings , i notice it takes longer to getto temp before switch over but other than that, the cold weather is going just great! and the benz is proving to love veggie..

Next week the wife gets the car!

Now I'm struggling with collection in the severe cold, making a super sucker this weekend to cure the problem .. scrounged a refrigerator for the compressor and got the tank dragged out of the back yard.

Ron Paul for Prez 2008!

posted Hide Post
Well here is a update .. way over due.. the benz its self lost the rust battle.. so we stoped driving it .. after a while it made me very sad to see it just sitting there .. so i decided to find a new body.. not a benz body however, i wanted somthing bigger , somthing much newer with creature comforts ..
Well here she is.. a 2000 s10 blazer.. picked it up for $500, had a bad motor and tranny had no reverse.. but the body is great same with the interior..

Ive been swapping the benz motor into this body.. and yes it fits..

The project is now wrapping up , ive got the tranny mounts done the carrier bearing setup done ect.. waiting on some steel to finish the front motor mounts now. until that comes in, ive been working on getting the factory gauges to work witht he benz motor.. minus the Speedo.. ill be replacing that with a GPS unit.. Ive been able to get all the other chevy gauges adapted over.. im just int he process of finishing these items now..

I have a build thread going over here if you want to see the progress:
OM617 powered 2000 Blazer Build Thread

Ron Paul for Prez 2008!

posted Hide Post
here is the latest.. it's all coming together:

Ron Paul for Prez 2008!

posted Hide Post
That is way, way cool man, out of the park cool.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post