BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Can I leave power to my Walbro FRB-5 pump...

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I leave power to my Walbro FRB-5 pump...
 Login/Join

posted
Even when I am not using it?

I had this same pump on my old single tank Mercedes to boost the WVO to the mechanical pump, but that was a single tank system, so the pump ran all the time--I just had it switched to my ignition. It's an "on demand" reciprocating pump, so it ran only fast enough to maintain pressure (8-11 psi). When I had it looped, you could hear it clicking very slowly--and when I purged to the tank, it would speed up.

My question is this--I have a 7.3 Excursion, and I would like to use the pump to assist the stock pump, and run a positive pressure to help eliminate vacuum pulling in air. When running on diesel, the pump would have no demand. If I simply wired it to a switched circuit, it would receive power whenever the key is on--given it is an "on-demand" pump, would it shorted its life if it had power when the WVO was not being used? Should I add an extra switch to manually toggle it back and forth when I switch?

Any experience appreciated.

N

2001 Excursion
Stock diesel tank, plus 55 aux WVO tanks from Northern tool. HIH to Raw Power pump (stock pump plumbed parallel as a backup). 30 plate FPHE, 203* tstat, heated canister filter, Thermometer controlled Vegetherm mega in case I ever want to visit Alaska and need a bit of a boost. Mechanical selector and loop valves plumbed into floor left of drivers seat. 249k miles--75k on biodiesel/WVO.

Location: Florida | Registered: May 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking I would not add a separate switch, but power it to the switch-over switch...whatever that becomes.

Merk
03 Jetta TDI 12 gal marine tank in trunk w/copper heat exchanger no intank connections, coolant heated copper coiled fuel filter, HIH, 10 plate FPHE & two 3 port wvodesign fuel valves. Timer/relay purge.

Location: Etna, NH | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have mechanical valves plumbed into the floorboard to the left of my driver's seat--so...separate switch will be a complete add on. But definitely thanks for the view and reply.

2001 Excursion
Stock diesel tank, plus 55 aux WVO tanks from Northern tool. HIH to Raw Power pump (stock pump plumbed parallel as a backup). 30 plate FPHE, 203* tstat, heated canister filter, Thermometer controlled Vegetherm mega in case I ever want to visit Alaska and need a bit of a boost. Mechanical selector and loop valves plumbed into floor left of drivers seat. 249k miles--75k on biodiesel/WVO.

Location: Florida | Registered: May 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see, no electric valves...hmmm Yeah so no choice but to wire it up to a switch.

Merk
03 Jetta TDI 12 gal marine tank in trunk w/copper heat exchanger no intank connections, coolant heated copper coiled fuel filter, HIH, 10 plate FPHE & two 3 port wvodesign fuel valves. Timer/relay purge.

Location: Etna, NH | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post