Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vegetable oil goo cleanup
 Login/Join

posted
I wanted to share a rare success with the group, hopefully it helps someone else out. I'm moving my equipment to a new truck. When i pulled the old tank out, it was *covered* in icky, sticky veg. oil goo. Lots of "learning opportunities" involving funnels, wind, and general bucket-pouring technique created a sticky film i'm sure we're all familiar with. I never was able to clean it up with casual attempts and cleaners.

I figured with the tank off the truck, this was my chance to finally get it clean. I set it on some cardboard and filled an old spray bottle with 50/50 simple green and water, and sprayed the surface of the tank down. I sprayed it again an hour later, and then again after another hour. Then i used a scotch-brite pad to go after the gunk. It actually came off really easily! Some places, where tree sap had dripped on, required actual scrubbing, but the majority of it all came off in one pass. I did a second round of spray-soak-spray-scrub, then wiped the residue off with rags. The tank looks great.

I've used simple green before, even at full strength, with poor results. I think the soak was the key. Hope it helps some of you out.

1999 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
Vegistroke-type SVO conversion
37g. tank in bed

ImageTank_clean1.jpg (18 Kb, 9 downloads) Half-cleaned

Location: Travelling | Registered: July 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
I find Simple Green as pretty wimpy on grease cutting. I like something with a higher pH to cut the vegetable oil. The Purple Power available at WalMart and Dollar General has a higher pH but not so high as to be dangerous to skin.

You are right about applying the cleaner again and again. We call that dwell time. Something else that helps is heat. For every 20 degrees you raise the temperature above 70 degrees F, you double the power of the chemical Put the tank in the sun and put your chemical inside a car with the windows rolled up... ideal.

And, the Scotchbrite gives you agitation... the fourth part of the chemical cleaning balance:
-chemical action
-temperature
-agitation
-time

By the way, I design industrial cleaners and processes.

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found 'Spray-Nine' to work well cleaning up my pails. A little better than gasoline, just spray it on and leave it for a few minutes. Canadian Tire has it.

Location: Ontario | Registered: May 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
full strength purple power on the worst build up and 50-50 for the regular oil messes. Simple green takes 2x as long to work, for me

Merk
03 Jetta TDI 12 gal marine tank in trunk w/copper heat exchanger no intank connections, coolant heated copper coiled fuel filter, HIH, 10 plate FPHE & two 3 port wvodesign fuel valves. Timer/relay purge.

Location: Etna, NH | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing cheaper or more concerntrated and effective than KOH or Naoh. Dunno why anyone bothers with anything else that has the same ingredients waterd down and higher priced.

Heres how to clean oil spills very effectively and easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P0B6e8Jf1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P0B6e8Jf1U