BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Golden Fuel Systems v. BioFuels Technologies Vegistroke
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Golden Fuel Systems v. BioFuels Technologies Vegistroke
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
kirk
Great advice... the stuff in large volumes has a mind of its own....in the beginning Roll Eyes

Merk
03 Jetta TDI 12 gal marine tank in trunk w/copper heat exchanger no intank connections, coolant heated copper coiled fuel filter, HIH, 10 plate FPHE & two 3 port wvodesign fuel valves. Timer/relay purge.

Location: Etna, NH | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2002 Excursion with a modified GFS conversion. I have to say from experience that it seems to be a fine conversion kit.

With regards to the BFT kit it operates very differently from GFS (and all others for that matter). It utilizes the unused fuel ports on the motor to allow for a separate fuel system. It does have some flaws to. More parts (valves, sensors, etc) that are prone to failure.

As mine uses some lines for both VO and D2 I simply keep extra fuel lines and caps with me to allow for modifications on the road as needed.

I do have to add that my modified GFS truck has never left me stranded. It has proven to be reliable, which is the most important aspect to what we do. I think this is due in part to the clean install (Full Circle Fuels) and great platform for installation (7.3 liter truck).

With regards to developing your own conversation. I will never do it again, I tried it twice and it did work but it left me on the side of the interstate working on kinked fuel lines, busted fuel hoses, etc. Now that I have a little saved up I would pay the extra for the piece of mind to have something that is proven. Just comes down to how much you got to spend.

Keep on doing what you are doing. The decision will come to you.

Zack

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3. Heavily modified GFS Conversion w/ Fass Fuel Pump and VO Controller. 70k miles and going up.
1995 Dodge Cummins W/ Custom 2-Tank Setup and 60 K miles on veg oil. (sold)
1984 300D-Daily Driver No Mods single tank and 25 K miles on veg. (sold)

Location: Knoxville,TN | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KnoxBioBenz:
I have a 2002 Excursion with a modified GFS conversion. I have to say from experience that it seems to be a fine conversion kit.

With regards to the BFT kit it operates very differently from GFS (and all others for that matter). It utilizes the unused fuel ports on the motor to allow for a separate fuel system. It does have some flaws to. More parts (valves, sensors, etc) that are prone to failure.

As mine uses some lines for both VO and D2 I simply keep extra fuel lines and caps with me to allow for modifications on the road as needed.

I do have to add that my modified GFS truck has never left me stranded. It has proven to be reliable, which is the most important aspect to what we do. I think this is due in part to the clean install (Full Circle Fuels) and great platform for installation (7.3 liter truck).

With regards to developing your own conversation. I will never do it again, I tried it twice and it did work but it left me on the side of the interstate working on kinked fuel lines, busted fuel hoses, etc. Now that I have a little saved up I would pay the extra for the piece of mind to have something that is proven. Just comes down to how much you got to spend.

Keep on doing what you are doing. The decision will come to you.

Zack

Zack, thanks for your post.
What'd you do to modify your GFS system?
How many WVO miles have you clocked with GFS?
Thanks in advance.

posted Hide Post
new valves
fass fp
Vo Control LCD "brain"

That's about it. It was originally put on about 6 years ago and modified around 4 years ago. I Think the fass is standard now.

I really like the idea of using the stock tank and adding a small 25 gallon steel tank for D2. The 44 gallon tank is great on long trips.

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3. Heavily modified GFS Conversion w/ Fass Fuel Pump and VO Controller. 70k miles and going up.

Location: Knoxville,TN | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://i1275.photobucket.com/a...0450_zps143e2349.jpg

The KOG system from a different post looks like good stuff. Those pumps are $500 each. Way better than a FASS pump and those are push lock fitting great stuff this is what you need to look for in a system. They do 7.3 also.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest flaw in your truck is the stock lift pump and fuel filter. The way it is designed is very difficult to use valves to switch between fuels. It can be done, it just creates a mess of fuel lines routed all over the place. I am not sure what BFT or GFS do to remedy this. From my experience, I have replaced numerous lift pumps over the course of the last ten years on 94-97 Powerstrokes, most of the trucks were not even converted to veg. The pump will fail in time and can run 150-500$ for a replacement depending on where you buy it. Plus labor for install, I have seen customers pay upwards of 700$ to have this done. Add a spaghetti mess of fuel line and you will make any mechanics day. You will pay way more.

We delete the OEM fuel bowl and OEM Mechanical lift pump, and replace your diesel system with an electric fuel pump from an 99-03 Powerstroke. This modification alone will make your truck start better and have more power and acceleration. Google "Tightwad Mod" for more reading on switching an old power stroke to an electric lift pump. We either modify your regulator like the article or are now offering regulated returns from Driven Diesel. This to me is the most important part of a 94-97 Powerstroke conversion. The veggie side is an easy add on afterwards. I even recommend to customers to do this in steps. Once the diesel side is switched to electric the veggie system can easily be added on in the future using our manifold.

We use top of the line parts on everything. Biodiesel rated fuel line that can withstand over 100PSI and 300 degrees. All Aluminum AN fittings for easy quick connections. Our whole system is pressurized, so you will get the best filter life, power, no air leaks, easy filter changes, good start ups.

Typically I have the customer do the conversion with me, since you will be driving the truck. I can prewire everything so it is just plug and play, if you understand the Ford fuel system and 12V wiring you could easily do the conversion on your own.

Customers always comment on how well their truck starts after the electric lift pump upgrade. Then they smile and say how well the truck runs on veg. Five year warranty on all parts in our system. Except
filters Smile

My 4500$ quote is a just a general system with gauges and 51 gallon aluminum tank. If you don't want gauges or have different ideas for a tank that price will change.

Location: Bend, OR, USA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I had a GFS system installed in a 1998 Benz E-class sedan. It was trouble-free for me for 50k+ miles (I think closer to 70k, but memory is getting dim), and was running fine when I sold it. That was a good conversion on a good car. I'd use GFS again if I was still running WVO.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kirkh:
The veggiestroke is very well designed. I think it is overkill personally. I have a greasecar kit. I have 100,000 miles on WVO and never had any problem related to the fuel system other than basic maintenance. I have never heard anything good about Golden Fuel Systems. Every vehicle that I have heard of dying on veggie oil was a golden fuel system.

if money were no object, yes the veggiestroke is well designed.

There is also the DIY option which would cost you 25-50% less than a bought kit.

2002 7.3L, 300,000 miles, 100,000 on WVO.

I too have a Greasecar kit on an 83 MB 300SD w easily over a 100K miles on her. I'm the second owner, the PO had it installed over 10 years ago & still a great car. The worst problem w the the car are both front seats are shot. I need the rebuild them!

Dave

84 MB 300D Turbo Diesel
98.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9
96 B7100 Kubota

Location: leavittsburg,Ohio | Registered: September 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh. New Seats are amazing. We recently got new pads for the seats and new pleather. Great on long trips. Worth every penny

posted Hide Post
Dave3500
I rebuilt the driver's seat on my 123. Rebuild kit came from Merecedessource.com for $69. Easy to rebuild and straight fwd.

posted Hide Post
I designed my first kit on a Merc 350SD and learned a ton before eventually selling the car to a fellow greaser.

For me, the hard part with any kit--whether DIY or kit is being satisfied with what you have. There is always that one more mod that you could do...

I don't like electronic controls and servo controlled valves--I have seen/heard of too many failing--so I personally like to develop my own system to incorporate mechanical controls. I have my selector valves installed to the left of the drivers seat on the floor (my excursion has a pedestal built into the floor under the seat, so I can reach them by just dropping my left hand) and I also use a gate valve plumbed in the Same location to control coolant flow thru my HIH line and FPHE. I don't like my veg running over 180*. So that is why I chose to cobble my own stuff together. Plus it is cheaper.

2001 Excursion
Stock diesel tank, plus 55 aux WVO tanks from Northern tool. HIH to Raw Power pump (stock pump plumbed parallel as a backup). 30 plate FPHE, 203* tstat, heated canister filter, Thermometer controlled Vegetherm mega in case I ever want to visit Alaska and need a bit of a boost. Mechanical selector and loop valves plumbed into floor left of drivers seat. 249k miles--75k on biodiesel/WVO.

Location: Florida | Registered: May 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke with a GFS that I had installed by my mechanic around Thanksgiving. I've driven about 2k miles on it. Simple set up is why I bought it seeing since I own a landscaping service, I don't have to worry about my truck getting cold. Anyway, so far so good. PS. The owner is very helpful on questions and quick reply to emails. He's not much for answering phone calls but he'll email the heck out of you. Hope this helps

Location: Houston, TX | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post