BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Golden Fuel Systems v. BioFuels Technologies Vegistroke
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Golden Fuel Systems v. BioFuels Technologies Vegistroke
 Login/Join

posted
Truck: 1997 Powerstroke 7.3l diesel.

I'm having trouble deciding between these two kits: Golden Fuel Systems WVO kit & the BioFuels Technologies Vegistroke WVO kit..
The Golden Fuel Systems kit costs $3,379.84 and comes with a heated tank.
The BioFuels Technologies Vegistroke kit costs $3,495 without their $825-$1,225 heated tank.
The forum posts about the BioFuels Technologies Vegistroke kit also mention that my year model truck has to be converted to electronic fuel injection to work with this kit which also will make the BioFuels Technologies Vegistroke kit more costly, where as the Golden Fuel Systems kit doesn't require conversion.

Can someone with experience with either or both of these kits say whether the BioFuels Technologies Vegistroke kit is worth $1000+ more than the Golden Fuel Systems kit?

Thanks in advance Smile

Question:
Golden Fuel Systems or BioFuels Technologies Vegistroke

Choices:
Golden Fuel Systems
BioFuels Technologies Vegistroke

posted Hide Post
The veggiestroke is very well designed. I think it is overkill personally. I have a greasecar kit. I have 100,000 miles on WVO and never had any problem related to the fuel system other than basic maintenance. I have never heard anything good about Golden Fuel Systems. Every vehicle that I have heard of dying on veggie oil was a golden fuel system.

if money were no object, yes the veggiestroke is well designed.

There is also the DIY option which would cost you 25-50% less than a bought kit.

2002 7.3L, 300,000 miles, 100,000 on WVO.

posted Hide Post
No kit is worth that kind of Money IMHO.

If you don't have the ability to construct and fit your own system out of all the info that is out there, running oil is probably not a good idea for you. If you don't have the time to put one together, then you sure as heck aren't going to have the time to filter and gather oil once you do have a system fitted.

I think all these systems are Overkill in order to raise and justify the price for more profit from the seller. The process of Running veg is simple and straightforward and all a lot of these systems do is add in many more potential trouble and failure points. The simpler and more standard you can keep the fuel system or any other the better.

posted Hide Post
We have converted lots of them, it's not a difficult conversion, nor is it expensive.

Edward Beggs
PlantDrive(tm) International
plantdrive.ca@gmail.com
http://www.PlantDrive.ca
SVO Consultations; Component/Kit Supplier; SVO Conversions; since 1999.

Location: Salmon Arm, BC, Canada | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ttommy:
No kit is worth that kind of Money IMHO.
If you don't have the ability to construct and fit your own system out of all the info that is out there, running oil is probably not a good idea for you.

sorry for my English
KEEP IT SIMPLE ALWAYS if YOU CAN

Location: Europe | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In between a fully-featured, packaged kit, and "DIY" and plenty of time spent on the web, is what we do a lot of....helping people select components from our offerings and putting together a package that suits their needs and budget. And I agree, keep it simple.

Edward Beggs
PlantDrive(tm) International
plantdrive.ca@gmail.com
http://www.PlantDrive.ca
SVO Consultations; Component/Kit Supplier; SVO Conversions; since 1999.

Location: Salmon Arm, BC, Canada | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I think the consensus is... too much $$$ for those kits. I think you can source parts and do it for 1/3 or less the prices quoted. Keeping it simple is key to success. My kit cost $400 with crappy pollack valves and no FPHE. Upgraded valves, added FPHE and a timer purged relay, brought it up to maybe $700. Its a jetta, so my tank is only 12gallons. But i bet for $1500 including a big custom tank...probably find one from someone giving up WVO... is all you would need to spend. You might even find a kit taken out of a truck, close to ready to go for $1500. Do some searching.

I enjoyed making the components too!

Merk
03 Jetta TDI 12 gal marine tank in trunk w/copper heat exchanger no intank connections, coolant heated copper coiled fuel filter, HIH, 10 plate FPHE & two 3 port wvodesign fuel valves. Timer/relay purge.

Location: Etna, NH | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://nh.craigslist.org/pts/4654837132.html

for example here is a greasecar kit for a tdi for $800, not for a truck, but the kits are out there somewhere.

Merk
03 Jetta TDI 12 gal marine tank in trunk w/copper heat exchanger no intank connections, coolant heated copper coiled fuel filter, HIH, 10 plate FPHE & two 3 port wvodesign fuel valves. Timer/relay purge.

Location: Etna, NH | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Merk,
IMHO, $800 for the GC system AND CoPilot is not a bad price. I'd suggest a different heated VO filter, 3/8" aluminum tubing for the HIH VO, and an aluminum tube for the in-tank heat exchanger, and use 3/4" radiator hose for the HIH system. An aluminum VO fuel tank and VO fuel pump are the hardest to find for a decent price.

posted Hide Post
I sell my kits for a 97 Powerstroke at 4500$ including 51 gallon tank. It also includes three gauges, fuel level for veg, fuel pressure and fuel temperature. With our manifold and gauges you can monitor filters and fuel pumps while you drive. Priming after filter changes is super easy, and air leaks are almost a non issue. We also offer a five year warranty on our fuel pumps and manifold.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...9605551/m/5627001973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7f-aMQ3tzs

I think cheap kits are thing of the past for me. I convert trucks and cars that are worth more then 10k$ stock. I have a 20K$ truck in my driveway now. 1999 Powerstroke 6sp with only 84,000 total miles on it. The next 10-15 years of this trucks life will be running veg. I am using the very best parts I can buy so I never have to do the conversion again. I will have confidence that my system will operate flawlessly for many years with little maintenance or technical issues. The veggie fuel pump carry a five year warranty which to me is worth the 500$ price tag on them. On your truck I would have two of these pumps which means you will always have at least one running pump if the other fails. Send it in for warranty and your back up and running. Not only does this cost very little, it is worth the peace of mind to me to know I will never be stranded. The way I set up the pumps, an exchange could be done in 30 minutes. We don't have any breakdown or warranty issues on our pumps, but from previous experience of stock pumps failing or cheap after market pumps failing is why we designed our system to combat those scenarios. Our trucks also are worked very hard, pulling loads and putting on miles. With our fuel system, power, acceleration, startups, heavy load demands are easily met. Even our modified trucks pushing big hp, our fuel demands are all met with our system.

I know we are expensive. But words I live by are. "Cheap is expensive" I don't like doing things twice.

Location: Bend, OR, USA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would agree that the VO fuel pump might be the weakest link in a conversion system. Good reliable VO fuel pumps cost a lot, but offer some measure of peace of mind. I have gone through the pains of replacing VO pumps over the yrs when I did my first conversion in 2005. I invested in the FASS pump, purchased 3 units, to be used in three of my personal cars and one truck. None of them have failed and are pushed while on the road. Expensive, but worth it. I use a two tank system in both MBs and Chevy truck, so when/if the VO pump fails, I will switch over to D2 and continue on my way.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edward Beggs:
We have converted lots of them, it's not a difficult conversion, nor is it expensive.

Edward,
Thanks for posting in this thread. I wasn't aware of your kit and I have been watching some of your videos on YouTube & I do like what I see.
What specifically & technically differentiates your kit from GFS & BFT?
I also can't find any prices for my specific vehicle on your website.
Thanks in advance Smile

posted Hide Post
To the DIY advocates:
I'd love to DIY a WVO setup for my vehicle & I've taken into consideration all the advantages of DIY: it's much cheaper; I learn all the ins & outs of my own personal system by building it myself & know exactly what to do if & when something goes wrong; I can use generic readily available parts; etc.

But here's my concern: I've seen literally dozens of different ways to DIY a WVO setup ranging from costing $400 up to thousands. All setups are unique, granted with some basic common principles. NONE (that I've found at least) have been widely repeated, peer-reviewed or have documented prototyping efforts that I can find. I guess what it boils down to is that I'd rather spend a couple of grand extra & support a business that I agree with than experiment with with my own prototype Frankenstein monster setup. A multi-year running business's kit on the other hand, has gone through multiple versions of kits perfecting their setup along the way, comes with a warranty & a reputation (fear of reviews & negative feedback publicized online). What I don't feel comfortable with is throwing together a custom prototype setup based on a mishmash of various best-of blog & forum DIY setups.
That said, I have a huge respect for all you DIYers out there. You are the pioneers.

posted Hide Post
To put your mind at ease, take a look at Frybrid's VO conversion system diagram. It is self explanatory, placement of parts, and direction of fuel and coolant water. Some VO companies might do it a little differently. Some like brown shoes and others like black shoes, but in the end they are still shoes. Since 2005, I have purchased three conversion systems - a GC and a Frybrid and a DYI

Frybrid.com, Forums, Reference, Diagrams, Frybrid Loop Diagram, 2nd post dated 10.18.06 I'm sure that are other companies that have posted their system diagram. Look around in the various forums.

Factory Kits are great and cost a few bucks. DYIs are great and cost fewer bucks. Our greaser club, Greater San Diego Greasers with 100+ members, have more DYI than kits.

posted Hide Post
I have a golden fuel system in my 07.5 Duramax and love it . it is a nice and simple system and they are help full if you have a problem. the problems that I read about seamed to be the truck owners fault not doing their home work and not taking care of their truck

Location: Panama City | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D.Schwinn:
I have a golden fuel system in my 07.5 Duramax and love it . it is a nice and simple system and they are help full if you have a problem. the problems that I read about seamed to be the truck owners fault not doing their home work and not taking care of their truck

Thanks for your input Mr. Schwinn. How long have you been running your GFS system?

posted Hide Post
I have been converting for a long time. Here are things to look for. On my Dodge CTD I learned that hose clamps really suck and are a huge weak spot. The last GFS system on an 03 Dodge used banjo fittings with hose clamps. Which are better than barb with hose clamps but not as good as push locks fittings with flares.

I have had the best luck with Greasecar switching valves. Hydroforce let me down three times I do not support them at all. Greasecar version of a hydroforce valve is not good either.

No body is going to agree with me on this but I like to use PEX as fuel line it is better than aluminum and really affordable.

I like the design of the Vegistroke, but I have doubt about how long the fuel pumps will last at 70+ psi. I have heard of one failing in person but he was the only one I knew that had there kit. Most people with 7.3 that I have seen in this area use the home made version with check valves and a return valve for flushing.

I find that a wrapped in coolant hose fuel filter is the way to go. They veg oil does something to the filter without it especially on long trips.

FPHE are very effective, and should be part of any kit. And should be close to the engine.

I use the Raw Power Fuel pump on my 70psi Mercedes because the Ford pump and the Raptor pump both failed quickly. Sold under WVOdesigns.com name.

Good Luck. And, For everyone considering a conversion kit start gathering and filtering now. Converting to run on grease is the easy getting grease and filtering it is the really challenging part. Once it is converted it is done, filtering is the life of the conversion.

Bob

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7.3dieselMike:
To the DIY advocates:
I'd love to DIY a WVO setup for my vehicle & I've taken into consideration all the advantages of DIY: it's much cheaper; I learn all the ins & outs of my own personal system by building it myself & know exactly what to do if & when something goes wrong; I can use generic readily available parts; etc.

But here's my concern: I've seen literally dozens of different ways to DIY a WVO setup ranging from costing $400 up to thousands. All setups are unique, granted with some basic common principles. NONE (that I've found at least) have been widely repeated, peer-reviewed or have documented prototyping efforts that I can find. I guess what it boils down to is that I'd rather spend a couple of grand extra & support a business that I agree with than experiment with with my own prototype Frankenstein monster setup. A multi-year running business's kit on the other hand, has gone through multiple versions of kits perfecting their setup along the way, comes with a warranty & a reputation (fear of reviews & negative feedback publicized online). What I don't feel comfortable with is throwing together a custom prototype setup based on a mishmash of various best-of blog & forum DIY setups.
That said, I have a huge respect for all you DIYers out there. You are the pioneers.

You make doing a veg conversion sound like designing a space orbiter. It really isn't that difficult. Do any of these conversions come with gaurantees they will suit your specific needs?
I have never seen a kit conversion that does what it needs to for everyone without being over kill or having some useless feature for some.

If you break downyour needs and the components needed to achive the results you need in the circumstances you have it's not hard to develop a reliable system at all.
None of these companies have tested their system on your needs.

Still, it's your thousands and you are absoloutley entitled to spend it any way you like. If spending it lets you sleep at night, there is a lot of value in that alone.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ttommy:
I have never seen a kit conversion that does what it needs to for everyone without being over kill or having some useless feature for some.

Firstly, thanks for you input.
Which features do you consider overkill & useless?

quote:
You make doing a veg conversion sound like designing a space orbiter. It really isn't that difficult. If you break downyour needs and the components needed to achive the results you need in the circumstances you have it's not hard to develop a reliable system at all.

I guess what I was trying to say is that I understand the theory behind a WVO system: filter & de-water the oil as much as practically possible and warm it up to lower its viscosity, preferably to the same viscosity as standard diesel fuel as it enters the injectors. What I don't completely trust is putting my own theory to practice & playing with an expensive motor with a mishmashed prototype DIY WVO system based on some drawings & videos from the internet.

quote:
Do any of these conversions come with gaurantees they will suit your specific needs? None of these companies have tested their system on your needs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 7.3 is easily the most WVO tested truck engine. Nearly 2 million of these semi-truck engines were made by International. The original Vegistroke kit was designed for the 7.3 & Charles Anderson (President of GFS) owns a 7.3 Excursion.

posted Hide Post
The kit is the easy part. Finding oil is the hard part! i tell newbies to collect and filter 200 gallons before even buying a kit or starting a DIY. That way you know if you (and your family) can hadle the mess, smell, spills, etc.

As far as fuel pumps go, the powerstroke stock fuel pump ($150 at Autozone, $40 on eBay) has worked very well for me.

but what do I know, I only have 100,000 miles on WVO hahahahahaha!