BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Which vegetable oils are the thinnest?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which vegetable oils are the thinnest?
 Login/Join

posted
So I wanted to run my paraffin lamp on bio diesel but can't get hold of the stuff
I'm thinking if I can get a vegetable oil that is thin enough then it will draw through my wick
Thinning out with petrol is a big no no as the fuel need to be bio

So if anyone can produce a list of viscosity for different vegetable oil please post it

Thanks
IA

posted Hide Post
Hi Ian,

People have tried to run wick type kerosene lamps with biodiesel without success.
I do not imagine it will work any better with Veg oil.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well diesel is slightly thicker then kerosene and I know diesel will burn OK in a paraffin lamp.
So why not bio-derv?

posted Hide Post
Lamp that uses bd:
http://journeytoforever.org/bi...l_heaters.html#lamps

Viscosity of various oils:
http://journeytoforever.org/bi...eld2.html#fuelesters
See "Fuel properties of fats and oils"

Most are 10x diesel...

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That lamp is a good idea
But no listings on its price
I wonder do you think any of the thiner veg oils will run on it
Or even if they make a stove to run neat on normal veg oil

I did not understand the second link though as that table may as well be in chianese

posted Hide Post
I wonder do you think any of the thiner veg oils will run on it
No.

Or even if they make a stove to run neat on normal veg oil
They do, do search here. Homestead Inc here makes a nice Babington based wvo heater I have seen.
Good for heating garages, green houses.

I did not understand the second link though as that table may as well be in chianese
Look at the Fuel properties of fats and oils HG column. #2 Diesel is 2.7
every other veg oil is 30-50, which is much thicker. so vo cant be used as a direct replacemnt fuel in most systems.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Check the specific gravity of kerosene. Then there is a way to make it work with gasoline with winter months and adjusts accordingly and summer months also adjusting it constantly with the temp and checking the specific gravity. I was told the starting point in summer is 8 vegetable/1 gasoline and adjust for temps, winter is 4/1 and adjust for temps. A gentle I know runs in his tier 4 diesel engine not one single issue since the engines introduce except for recalls on manufacturers ends. If it works in diesels it should work for kerosene specific gravity too.

Location: Haverhill Iowa | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also you can make a bottle and put in fridge or freezer for cold temp checks or colder outside. We did mixed with biodiesel last year and got down to 10' without even checking specific gravity.

Location: Haverhill Iowa | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This regular gasoline 87 octane "NO ETHANOL WHAT SO EVER".

posted Hide Post
DO NOT USE PETROL/ GASOLINE IN A WICK TYPE LAMP!!!!

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wanted to run my paraffin lamp on bio diesel

Why? A lamp uses so little fuel, why would one want to degrade the performance and likely increase the hazards by using an alternative fuel? It makes no sense.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post