Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good SVO generators
 Login/Join

posted
I finally decided, after two engines died, that Kubota engines do not do well on SVO. The Frybrid system works great on my vehicle, but could not save my Kubota powered generator. Does anyone have experience with other medium size (6 to 12 KW) generators fueled by SVO?

Location: Yukon | Registered: June 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first experiments were with a 900 rpm 3 kw Lister genset- beauty! Had to give it back to its rightful owner: I currently run a 2 cylinder 12 hp Petter with a 5 kw alternator~ Have run many sorts of odd fuels through it~ prefer listers.

What killed the Kubotas? Injection equipment? Rings? Bearings?

Slower rpm diesels are better suited to heavy fuels like bunker c, and grease-
These fuels burn slower and simply do not have time to fully combust in higher speed engines, causing coking, poor economy and other problems.
That said, most of my experience with SVO is with old 2 stroke detroits which love grease~
Took an old well used 6V71 apart that I added 40,000 km to- no coking!
There are various Detroit gensets around in your kw range: 1-71, 2-53, 3-53~ most parts are still available new-
If I were setting a system up from scratch, I'd go Listeroid.
Cheers!

http://www.utterpower.com/listeroi.htm

Location: Vancouver Island, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: Vancouver Island, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post