Find
Notify
Tools

homemade centrifuge plans
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi to all,
Update on my homemade centrifuge.
Running up at the 5500rpm region came with its own set of problems.
1. As I mentioned before vibration present when I tested with water.
2. Bearings were running hot although they were within specification to handle the rpm's.
I changed the pulley ratio and am now spinning the bowl at 4000rpm which the bearings seem to prefer.
This also improved with the vibration issue. However WVO is not as bad as allowing 100% water into the bowl as I did during initial testing. The main thing to my surprise that reduced the vibration was fitting a lid on the top of the main outer bowl. This seems to have 'dampened' the resonance and I am quiet happy with the way it now runs. I also made a heavy main frame from angle iron, fitting pods with anti-vibration rubber bushed on the 4 legs. I tested with oil this evening and things appear to be working ok. I have noted the posts from j rip and I am considering making some type of downward spiral track on the wall of the collecting bowl to direct the clean oil downwards as it appears to want to stay on the outer wall and only travels down the outer bowl when it is very heavy.
I will take some shots and see if I can post them later. I will wait until I have a finished product that I can 'show off'.

Location: ireland | Registered: December 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dragonfly:
hs5424
I built my open bowl CF. Trying to build an open bowl from a billet of 10" x 6" aluminum is way too costly for the raw materials. I purchased the purchase of two major parts, the aluminum bowl and 1/3 HP motor from Simplecentrifuge way back in 2005 for $750 US. Since then the prices have come way down. Absolutecentrifuge sells the bowl, motor and registration plate for $500US. The rest of the items can be purchased off the shelf. I constructed the outer bowl from 10 qt sauce pot, two 1" dia aluminum tubes (one for the CF'd oil and the other to drain off the junk stuff. A clear Mylar plastic top allows me to see inside the bowl as the oil is being cleaned. My second open bowl project will use a 10 Qt pressure cooker for the outer pot - the top is lockable and will keep the fumes and spray from getting outside the bowl. Legs are made of 1" x 1" angle iron. I heat only the small amount of settled oil through two 7500 watt hot water heater elements. A gate valve controls the flow at 1/2 gal. per minute through the heater elements. The raw WVO is poured into a 60 gal. cone poly barrel to settled for a day or two, then the oil is allowed to gravity flow into a metal 55 gal drum. A 1/10 hp pump sends the settled oil up to another poly 55 gal laying horizontally. This drum gravity feeds the heating system elements, gate valve, then drops into the CF and gets cleaned. If the RAW oil is still dirty, by evaluating how much junk is in the CF bowl when it is stopped after 10 gals or so, the oil can be sent again to be recycled. If you are having a problem of getting out the FAT, don't use any heat. Heat dissolves the fats and will, as you have found out, plugs filters. I don't like to have hot oil under 90 lbs of pressure. Really makes a mess when one of the hoses ruptures.

Hi dragonfly,
My homemade centrifuge is up and running now and seems very similar to yours. I now just need to add on a feed container over the unit to gravity feed the wvo into it. It is doing exactly what I need it to do ie, take out the 'fat' as the bowl often needs cleaning with fat 2'' thick covering the ends of the legs on the booster cone. I may try without the booster cone fitted as it makes cleaning easier if it's removed. I have noticed a slight 'haze' in the room where its running and don't know what this is. The lid of the unit is well sealed and I have watched the breather hole on the lid and cannot see anything coming out there. Maybe its so fine but I would like to know if its dangerous for ones health.

Location: ireland | Registered: December 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hs5424,
My CF setup is in the garage where the cloths washer and cloths dryer area located. Wife was complaining about the "smell" of the VO. The VO micro particles, (creates the smell) are getting into the lungs, thus might be harmful. In response, I constructed a 5' x 12' self contained room with a 1200 cu ft. bathroom exhaust fan that draws air from the garage area then pumps the rooms air to the outside of the garage. Now wife doesn't smell any VO and she is happy (so am I). Might suggest installing a "kitchen hood" over the CF bowl and add duct the air to the outside. I'm computer challenged , but can send pics of my CF setup and a few shots of the CF room.rene22@cox.net

posted Hide Post
Hi to all,
Update on my homemade CF.
Running now for almost 2 years and I am very happy with the results. It is doing what I want it to do by removing the fat from my WVO before I deliver it to my Freetherm oil burner. I now extract allmost all the oil from my supplies and am left with only 'lard or 'fat in the bowl which I just pop into a plastic bag and pop in the garbage bin. It also removes sludge from my WEO which is great also.

posted Hide Post
Dont' you just love the performance and ease of cleaning of the Open Bowl CF. Didn't read in your posts if you had the CF bowl made by your machinist friend or you purchased it. Best of luck in your filtering efforts. Pics of your system?

posted Hide Post
Hi Dragonfly,
CF going good as I said earlier. Take a look at https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox3o.../send%20CF1.ppt?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sx2n.../send%20CF2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ab08...d%20CF%203b.jpg?dl=0

I am wondering if Delavan in the US are the only people that make nozzles for waste oil burners. Any on the burners that I have seen all seem to us the Delevan type nozzle.

posted Hide Post
Sorry dragonfly,
I forgot to mention that I purchased the cf bowl.

posted Hide Post
In my venture 9 yrs ago, I went through the same process. Had a machinist friend who had a CNC, but the material costs and CNC cutters were too expensive. Small production runs were not practical, therefore I purchased the Simplecentrifuge bowl and Baldor 1/3 hp. Well worth the money spent and the best part is how well the WVO is cleaned.

posted Hide Post
j rip
Sounds like the bowl is not balanced. With the motor running, does the bowl vibrate with nothing in it. The distance between the cake tin and the CF bowl is about 1/4". One upgrade I'm going to do is create a "dam" behind the output pipeI blocking the oil from going round and round. When cleaning WVO, the oil tends to spin around inside. The output pipe is 1" dia. Maybe, but adding the "dam" the oil will not have air bubbles introduced into the oil by the spinning CF bowl. The Baldor 1/3 hp motor @ 3450 RPMs seems to be enough to clean WVO quite well. Absolutecentrifuge uses a 1/3hp motor and has published, on their website, detailed test results from a reputable company of how well their CF cleaned WVO. It might be worth a look.

posted Hide Post
Hi Dragonfly,
I see air bubbles in my oil after it is cleaned. I don't think this is a problem as they clear after a while. Or am I correct ???.

posted Hide Post
The air bubbles in my VO does resolve itself. How is the vibration problem. Still there when nothing is in the bowl?

posted Hide Post
Hi Dragonfly,
The original shaft that I had made was off by a mile. If my memory serves me correctly I think it was out by about 2mm when I checked it with a dial gauge. I had another guy make one up for me which was a great improvement. I then set the bowl as low down as possible on the shaft which minimized any imperfections that might exist with the new shaft. This did the trick. I get a slight vibration for a short period ( 5 secs ) as the bowl is filling initially which is not a problem considering that I am spinning at about 4000 rpm. CF is the only option in my opinion.

posted Hide Post
My CF bowl will vibrate when it starts to have WVO dropped into it, also. It also sounds different when the bowl isn't getting any WVO to clean. If I'm working in the garage, I can hear the pitch of the bowl change, even with the CF room's door closed. I encourage new members of the Greater San Diego Greaser Group to visit other members' cleaning methods and evaluate them. Depending on the volume they might need, some have gone with the open bowl CF. Using the open bowl CF system sure has shortened my work load, no mess to clean up, much less handling the VO, cleans the oil very well, and longer VO filter life on my MB.

posted Hide Post
Hi Dragonfly,
If you take a look at the dropbox shots I posted you may notice that I have the cf table standing on anti vibration feet. The table I constructed from heavy angle iron. All these little things helped with vibration. I have to heave the door open to here if the cf is running. Not bad considering that my first attempt I had a cf that was able to dance across the floor.

posted Hide Post
For some reason, I can't open the first post. The other two do open. I wanted to see what was going on inside the CF bowl. I used a 1/4" plexi glass 3/8" slightly larger than the lip of the sauce pot. Drilling holes in the plexi glass is a little tricky, so go slow when drilling. The drill bit has to be at a different angle. I threaded the holes so the 1/4" #6 screwsA handle is bolted to the tip to lift the lid off. A 1/4" rubber fuel hose was slit long wise and slipped over the sauce pot top edge. To hold the top from sliding off, three 1/4" #8 machine screws are threaded into the plexi glass. To get the correct spacing for the machine screws, two screws are installed, the lid is placed on top and a little sideways pressure is applied to press the two screw threads into the 1/4" fuel hose. The position for the third screw can be marked with felt tip pen. Drill and thread the hole. The center of a 3/4" dia hole can be positioned as close as possible to the inner edge of the CF's overflow lip. This hole will be used for the VO downspout into the BOTTOM of the bowl. Hope this helps.