Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

homemade centrifuge plans
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I didn't have a clearance problem between the CF bowl and the bottom of the aluminum sauce pot. The diameter of the inner bowl was measured by the space needed to collect the bad oil AND the room needed to put an "junk" 1" aluminum pipe. The Baldor motor is bolted directly to the bottom of the sauce pot. The shaft has male threads the screws into the bowl. The hardest part was to get the correct height of the inner bowl to just 1/8" of the lower lip of the bowl. Sounds complicated, but it really isn't. You need to think out the process and measure "TWICE then cut". Send a PM to me and I'll send some pics of my unit. I think I still some pics of when I constructed the CF.

posted Hide Post
Forgot to answer your second question about the 1/3 hp be strong enough. The rpm of the motor is more important than hp. Remember the CF will be motor shaft drive. Oil is added after the full spin up is achieved. Don't under stand the unstable part with adding too much oil. The more oil added to the bowl defeats the purpose of allowing the oil to be pinned against the back wall where the junk collects. The slower the oil is fed, the cleaner the oil will be. If a higher rpm is used, the process will be speeded up. A 1/3 hp spinning a 3450 rpm and the WVO at 125F will clean the oil quite well.

posted Hide Post
ha, i tried to send a pm for some tips before christmas, hard to tell what i did. the whole unit would be in a violent shake once in a while when i would go to check on it. i made these spiral scoupe/fins that would direct the oil down toward the bottom of the outer bowl, and had to rig something that would ad oil to the cf precisly ,and make sure the oil was hot and could flow well or it would be a guaranty that it would develop that "shake". i figured that it was due to the space inbetween the out edge of cf to retaining bowl but could also be to do with the bottom of cf to the rb. any way i did somthing wrong acording to the results your getting compaired to mine. later today i'll try to pm you again for some pics when you have the time. thanks

posted Hide Post
i'm still not sure how to pm you and hs5424 probly wants to know as much as me so i'll just wait on pics for now. i think i'll start mine by looking for a bigger pot in town but cant remember how i rigged my seal for the motor.think i had the bottom of the pot turned out on a lath to recieve a seal.is that what you did?

posted Hide Post
What is the OD of the CF bowl? What is the height of the bowl? There are many sizes of aluminum sauce pots. Check out restaurant supply companies. I prefer the pressure cooker as the lid will lock tight and not allow the smell to leak out, and the top is easy to take off in order to clean out the bowl. When cleaning the hot oil, it is directed to the very bottom of the CF bowl. A 1/2" PVC pipe is 1/8" above the bottom. Hope this helps.

posted Hide Post
outside d of the cf bowl is 8 5/8" and the inside of the retaining bowl is 9 3/8". it just seemed like it was having a hard time passing the oil out of the retaining bowl thru the outer port when it was operating,building up oil and making a foamy looking mess(i had a lexan see thru top). i think i know how i'm going to use a cooking pot as a outer bowl, by epoxying it to a thicker base plate that the motor will be bolted to and motor shaft will be sealed with. should be an easy experiment anyway.

posted Hide Post
hs5424 how do you go about burning oil at home, heat it first, or do you have a special burner?

posted Hide Post
Hi J rip.
I run my house on wvo and weo (engine oil) using a burner (G20) that I purchased from 'Freetherm in Germany.
It needs to be driven from an air compressor as it operates on the 'venturi' effect in the main nozzle. It has a pre-heater for the waste oil and an air line input. I fitted it to my standard oil boiler. It will also run regular diesel or kerosene. You just need to switch off the pre-heater for these fuels. I have been running it for 3 years now.

Location: ireland | Registered: December 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cool, did some experimenting with babington burners and made one that would light and burn all with an electrical switch,want to make a boiler and use some kind of waste oil burner but havn't decided weather to go down the totaly homemade road or not yet cause even tho it can feel rewarding it can also be pretty frustraiting ha ha. i blend in 30% veg oil in diesel and burn it in my non converted oil furnace without any trouble but i like the sound of 100% better. if i go home made i will make a small shed to house the furnace for insurance , and carbon monoxide reasons but doubt i'll have time to build one anyway, prob better if i look into a buying a burner. thanks, good luck with your cf, sounds like we'll be making one at the same time.

posted Hide Post
Hi bud,
the only prob burning waste engine oil is that it leaves a white ash inside your boiler which in my case needs to be cleaned every 3 to 4 weeks during the winter. This ash is very light and will fall off the boiler wall with a beer matt or vac cleaner. I have found that burning WVO leaves no ash at all, however it can foul up the spark electrodes with grease from time to time. I changed the nozzle to one with a narrower spray angle which greatly improves this problem. I reckon that using the CF on WVO will help with also. From time to time I allow a mix of both engine and veggie to run the system with no problem as they both require the same pre heat temperature. So my advise is if you build your own boiler have ease of cleaning in mind.

Location: ireland | Registered: December 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok thanks for the tip, someday i'd like to get set up good for home heating. got to focus on my motor side of things to get that all polished up and working well for now but i am thinking pretty seriously on heating with waste oil. we have a waste motor oil dump at our warf that 50 boats use and are paying to have hauled away, i'd like to move in on that before someone else does but you can only do so much i guess. anyway thanks for the info.

posted Hide Post
j rip
Don't know much about cleaning UMO, but I'd bet the oil is cleaned with a centrifuge. I have seen the Diesel Craft bowl that was taken off a big rig. Although the DC is a low volume processor, the oil cleaning results are pretty good. Saw a large amount of very fine material packed on the outer wall. It probably contains metal shavings, most likely from engine ware. Might want to reconsider the construction of an open bowl CF. There are few home heating conversion units that are available.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by j rip:
ok thanks for the tip, someday i'd like to get set up good for home heating. got to focus on my motor side of things to get that all polished up and working well for now but i am thinking pretty seriously on heating with waste oil. we have a waste motor oil dump at our warf that 50 boats use and are paying to have hauled away, i'd like to move in on that before someone else does but you can only do so much i guess. anyway thanks for the info.

Omitted to mention that for the last 3 years I have been using 10micron filter bags to filter UMO which is overkill as the mesh filter that was supplied with the burner is 100 microns.

posted Hide Post
maybe i'll keep the dc cf for motor oil if i ever get set up for burning motor oil in a furnace. i think i'm going to give my open bowl a rebuild for now, hearing about the hard fat you remove running cold has me thinking it sounds like a pretty smart idea and also i think i can get it going a little quicker than the dc for now, i'm too busy for much anything right now tho as far as proper builds, if i get something going it will look pretty ugly i imagine, o well don't have to pretty i guess. i plan on installing a water injection system on my boat tho and i was meaning to ask where you got your water pump from?

posted Hide Post
hs5424 how did you decide on the burner you bought? is it a babington style that uses presureized air to atomize the oil? i even heard people blending with d2 at 50% heating it a little and using it in a normal diesel fuel type gun.ebay has some guns that are supose to burn motor oil too. a few choices i guess.

posted Hide Post
j rip
I have installed the Shurflo Pumps #8000-543-236, 12VDC, 20 psi, 1.4 gal/min. with the McMaster spray nozzle # 3178K41 at 40 psi, .63 gal/min.

posted Hide Post
ok thanks buddy, should be able to get the rest of it going on my own,found a plastic tank and a good place after the turbo to instal the mister.

posted Hide Post
Hi guys,
I have the centrifuge bole and booster kit and have a new 1hp motor. I am going to try this motor although it runs at min 2800 rpm. I know you guys prefer a speed of 3400 but 2800 is off the shelve here in Ireland and not two expensive. If it turns out that I need extra speed I can modify my design and fit some pulleys to step up the rpm of the bowl. I am not looking for a fast throughput of oil so hopefully 2800 rpm will be ok.
I welcome your comments.
Thanks in advance.

posted Hide Post
2800 rpm should be good enough to make it work, faster is better of course but off the shelf and afordable seems like a pretty big factor too. i guess you will have to try it to find out, when i clean my cf out their is usually burnt food particals about an 8th of an inch deep stuck to the wall of the bowl,depending how clean the oil is and how far i am into the cleaning stage. i have a tank with good drainage that i keep recycling the oil thru so in theory will probably pass by the cf about 7 times in the run of a day. not sure how long it will take to clean it spotless, i just got it running today with my new modifications but it seems like it is working well. one thing i did change was from the old cf that i didn't post was that i intraduce the oil in the cf in the center instead of off center of the bowl for balancing purposes,but i also made a bigger outer container to hold the flying oil and lifted the cf of the bottom of the retaining vessel too so i don't really know what made the biggest differance but i can put a lot more oil to it without any prob so far anyway. i have a really small gear pump that puts oil to it at about 12-15 galons an hour and i dont have to meter it at all which is good cause their are less things to go wrong like cloged valves and not feeding oil to the cf.
i would like to here what other people see when they clean the bowl out though, i have never seen water in the bottom once and i don't know if it would seperate out from the oil or not. my new retaining vessel however is not held down to a gasket and i notice vapor coming out from the cf, i think it should be water vapor but not sure hopefully someone will answer me on this.

posted Hide Post
Hi j rip,
Thanks for you post. I just decided that because I have to have a shaft made up to couple the motor and bowl I will go a step further and use pulleys to increase the speed X2. This should not be a problem as my motor is 1hp. The speed should be up around 5600 rpm. Taking into consideration that I dont need the oil really clean I should get a fairly high speed throughput. Any idea about the distance between the outer wall of the spinning bowl and the wall of the collection bowl. Does it matter what height the centre bowl is above the base of the outer collection bowl. I will post some pic's as I start to build.

HS5424