BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    New Lister Petter generators...on oil

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Lister Petter generators...on oil
 Login/Join

posted
There are lots of old discussions on running Listeriods on VO but as a practical matter in the USA that just isn't possible now. So I am went looking for an alternative. What I found was Lister-Petter diesel powered generators on Ebay. From 8.5kW to 16kW.

They come in both direct and indirect injection diesel models and I think that for using VO indirect would be best. Both seem to conform to the EPA tier 4 regulations and have very good Quality Control (unlike Listeroids) and are rated for very long term operation..in fact the engines are rated for more hours between overhauls than the generator heads.

Heres a link to the one I am thinking of buying.

Does anyone already have one converted to VO or even running on diesel fuel?
Are there any other indirect injection diesel generators available in the USA that conform to tier 4?

Any help would be appreciated.

posted Hide Post
Lister-Petter engines are excellent quality, long lasting engines.

I've been around them for eight years and as long as they are taken care of properly, they last a long time.

A handful of years ago, we ran two 10kW generators for three weeks at a time between services intervals, while stopping the generators only once a week to check the oil level and blow out the air filter.

These engines, when they are run at 80% load, do not burn oil. They just hum along all day and all night.

The biggest issue with ANY generator, gas or diesel, is proper loading. Engines like to work. If diesels are under-worked, not only are they less efficient, but also wet-stacks which causes significant issues.

Location: Columbus, GA, USA | Registered: September 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you remember which Model Lister Petter engines powered those generators? And(Hoping)were they run on VO?

I understand from previous discussions that it is important to run diesels at from 60 to 80% full power especially on VO. So I plan to load the genset with resistance heaters(hot water heater) when normal draw falls below 50%.

posted Hide Post
When ANY diesel engine, be it stationary or vehicular power plant, if it is not run under loading guidelines, then it will cause issues. This is the reason why consumer diesel engines seem to die quicker than those whom are consistently loaded, such as big rig truck. That said, the same goes with gas engines as well.

I'm sure not sure of the engine model, but I can find it for you in about two weeks as that will be the next time I will be around the generators.

I can tell you right now, the generators are for the US military, the current MEP series, tactical quiet generators (TQG) 5kW having two pistons and 10kW having four. Funny, I just remembered the 5kW generators were very noisy because they vibrate. Given though, the generators are mounted on trailers with toolboxes and the noise is amplified from the junk inside the tool box rattling around.

The 10kW's on the other hand, have significantly less vibration and also the engine just seems to run smoother.

The Lister-Petter engines we use were built to run on JP-8, but whose to say someone didn't acquire some WVO from the dining facility, clean it, and non-nonchalantly dump a few gallons of it into the generator's fuel drum? The generator did run significantly quieter and much more pleasant smell.

Location: Columbus, GA, USA | Registered: September 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post