BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    dodge pickup with the cummings

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dodge pickup with the cummings
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 2001 dodge 2500 with the cummings turbo diesel. I am useing 50 50. I broke down today thought i ran out of fuel put more fuel in truck will not start. I cant hear the lift pump in tank so i dropped tank put new pump in tank and i still dont here it come on. The truck still wont start. I replaced fuel filter and there was no fuel in bowl so i added fuel and tryed to start ran for 30 seconds and shut down. There is a spot for a pressure gauge when i push in the shrader valve air comes out. I had tryed starting it so much killed the batterys hooked up jumpers and.cranked on it more. I even put gas on a rag and put over intake it would start up and run for 15 or so seconds and shut off i did it that way a bunch. I still have air in the lines just like the lift pump is not coming on. I checked fuses and solenoid all is good. So what are your ideas on how to fix the truck. Also there is four wires going to lift pump and sending unit i dont no what ones go to the pump to check for power.

Location: dundee | Registered: June 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry forgot first time useing phone for this.
Aaron number one delivery driver.
1987 GMC suburban 6.2 diesel 100 percent WVO
1993 chevy 3500 6.5 no turbo 100 percent WVO
2001 dodge Cummings turbo 50 50 diesel WVO

posted Hide Post
Sounds like your lift pump is not getting power. If I remember right from my brother's 2001 the lift pump should run non-stop when you turn on the key until it generates some set amount of pressure.

You need to check for power, with the 4 wires, the 2 biggest (thickest) ones will be to power the pump; the sending unit will be low power lines and will be smaller.

If its not getting power and there isn't a physical wiring break somewhere, then maybe whatever pressure switch tells it to stop is stuck open?

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wires are all the same size.

posted Hide Post
The lift pump need to be working or the VP44 will die and need to be replaced as well as the lift pump. Disconnect the fuel line and make sure it is pumping out of the lift pump. This is a serious problem with that truck. These come into the shop where I was working and the boss would have to tell customers that the lift pump died and took out the injector pump.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the injector pump failed why cant i get the air out of the fuel lines. Thats why i think something is going on with lift pump. Truck will start and run for 30 seconds after i let it sit for 2 hours. I have not worked on it busy working at job site. Maby tonight.

posted Hide Post
Maddasher you was right worked on it some more tonight and its the injector pump i ordered a new one. Thanks