BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Dieselcraft centrifuge works great -My filter and dewater rig
Page 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 178

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dieselcraft centrifuge works great -My filter and dewater rig
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Nice pump setup. Reversing might work. You don't need to reverse the pump. All you need to do is open a valve on a tee before the CF and all the flow goes out that line instead of to the CF. See my diagram on the summary on page 1.

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I have emtied the barrel I want to emty the black 2 1/4" pipe and hoses etc. That's why I'm asking.

By the way - thanks for the good work Sun!!
Keep it up!

/Bosse
Sweden

Swede!

Location: Sweden | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought this oberdorfer pump and motor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1301...e=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123
Not quite as cheap as Sun's but at the same time this is now a popular item!

I have one question for all you CF experts out there. Now that winter is quickly coming (It was a frost here in Missouri this morning!), how are people keeping things moving on their CF rigs? I know from last season that the WVO I had outside looked like butter below around 40 Farenheight. Here are my ideas are they ok?

1. Mix the WVO 10% in the barrell with Gas/Diesel/E85/or Kero or combinations of any/all of those.

Any better/other ideas?

95 Ford Powerstroke Diesel 2 tanks diy
84 GMC 6.2 Diesel
Had: Several Diesel Mercedes

Location: Missouri | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NickSorenson:
1. Mix the WVO 10% in the barrell with Gas/Diesel/E85/or Kero or combinations of any/all of those.

Any better/other ideas?

Yes, drop a bucket heater into the barrel 30 minutes before you start the CF.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen reference to that on this forum already with the bucket heater.

But isn't it a good idea to mix the WVO for use in the winter anyways? I had a two tank on my last MBz and I had to drive 30 minutes before that stuff was melted.

84 GMC 6.2 Diesel

Location: Missouri | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

those bucket heaters are actually that strong to able to heat a 55G barrel of oil to even 100F?

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
sunwizard been trying to follow your post on this check out there site and plan on calling them on mon
i have a few questions
[LIST]how did you get it so cheap?
does flash evaportion happen inside the heater you made before the centriuge does that remove the water?
this would be geat elminating my huge set up of 50,10,5,1 miron filter set up
does any one know how to test for what micron your oil has been filtered to ?
have you any thought on a preheater design of a sumdge pot? free elec?

avoid paying the man

Location: airzona | Registered: June 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Evangelos,
I think he (Sun) means for the bucket heater to merely melt the butter thick WVO. Then his inline water heater elements do the rest.

But again, in winter if it's better to mix the WVO would it not be a good idea to just mix in the CF barrel?

quote:
Originally posted by evangelos:
quote:

those bucket heaters are actually that strong to able to heat a 55G barrel of oil to even 100F?

84 GMC 6.2 Diesel

posted Hide Post
just successfully cleaned my oil by CF and when doing the hotpan test there was next to no suspended water when the skillet had a temperature between 350f - 365f compared to clean oil straight from costco that had quite a bit of suspended water.

has this been mentioned before?

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes the bucket heater I use is 1000 watts and heats to 100 easily.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NickSorenson:
But isn't it a good idea to mix the WVO for use in the winter anyways? I had a two tank on my last MBz and I had to drive 30 minutes before that stuff was melted.

No need to blend for winter if you have a good 2 tank conversion. I can switch over in 5 miles in below 0F temps, and my VO temp is >160F.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
quote:
just successfully cleaned my oil by CF and when doing the hotpan test there was next to no suspended water when the skillet had a temperature between 350f - 365f compared to clean oil straight from costco that had quite a bit of suspended water.

has this been mentioned before?

Yes there is a whole long thread on here about how new VO can sometimes have suspended water. Lets not have that debate in this thread too, its already long enough.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philman692000:
how did you get it so cheap?

I bought it on ebay before anyone had figured out using it for WVO.

quote:

does flash evaportion happen inside the heater you made before the centriuge does that remove the water?

Yes some is removed by flash evaporation, and some is removed by the centrifuge action. It occurs not in the heater, but when it comes out the jets and you can see the puffs of steam.

quote:

this would be geat elminating my huge set up of 50,10,5,1 miron filter set up
does any one know how to test for what micron your oil has been filtered to ?

The only way I know is send it to a lab like www.herguth.com

quote:

have you any thought on a preheater design of a sumdge pot? free elec?

No.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
Chris at Frybrid has been testing a CF mounted on a water heater, and reporting good results in this thread.. I think running the CF on a water heater is a great idea. I am using water heater elements, and when there is lots of water or particles, I heat up the barrel and let it settle overnight and drain the bottom off just as he is doing.
Having an insulated tank and thermostat on it is a good thing. A water heater makes the plumbing a little simpler and cleaner looking than the inline heater I have been using. And we can find them cheap or free.

Here is the page describing the Frybrid Still, which is a water heater, showing mods to run the 240v element at 110v and disconnect the top element. Note he doesn't use the blue harbor freight pump shown on that page, he got one that can do the 90psi needed.

A drawback to this is that you only have 1 element so it heats up slower than my 2 inline heaters, but once its hot it will stay hot better because of the insulation. Which is good for overnight settling. I might make one with 1 inline heater plus the lower element in the water heater, both connected to the stock thermostats. With the inline element wired in parallel with the pump so it only comes on when the pump is on, and the thermostat is on.

Most water heaters have a rounded bottom on the tank which makes it drain the nasty stuff easier than a flat bottom barrel.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
Sunwizard,

In your mobile filtration unit, do you have any problems with the centrifuge draining like chris goodwin had on his still.......I'm referring to using the 3-way valve.

Also, who has the best price on the OC20 right now?

Thanks.

Waylan

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walexa07:
In your mobile filtration unit, do you have any problems with the centrifuge draining like chris goodwin had on his still.......I'm referring to using the 3-way valve.

No.
quote:

Also, who has the best price on the OC20 right now?

It looks like Dieselcraft has raised the price to $299 with the mount. You should have got in early (before they got popular) when we still had the special forum members discount.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
I left my CF after stopping CF:ing for 4 hours. I came back some 5 hours later to clean the cold CF bowls/parts after that.

The goo was dark and like a cold darkbrown chewing gum. It wasn't that easy to clean it so I thought I might put it on the stove in a pot. I poured up some cold water and put the bare CF metal parts in it. I forgot to switch on the stove - so coming back the water was still cold.

BUT - the CF parts was clean and the water all dark brown.

That is - the goo has a very dissolving capacity in water!

Doesen't that also prove,in a way, that when the water leaves the WVO - it leaves the salts, spices, sugar in the goo of the CF. As it earlier was dissolved in the water. You don't even have to see or hear the mist leaving the CF - you can come to that conclusion by just putting the CF-goo in water.

Of cause - this is so for my WVO and not necessary for others.

Am I wrong?

/Bosse
Sweden

Swede!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesen't that also prove,in a way, that when the water leaves the WVO - it leaves the salts, spices, sugar in the goo of the CF. As it earlier was dissolved in the water.

I don't think so. What I think it proves is that your wvo had large amounts of water soluble contaminants in it that may..or may not have been dissolved in water at an earlier time.

Location: Central MN..Brrrrrr! | Registered: November 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ouuups!

So salt, sugar and spices can easaly dissolve in pure waterfree oil?

/Bosse
Sweden

Swede!

posted Hide Post
Bosse, that is good info. I think you are right. May I suggest tasting the goo? It will proof your theory is right.