BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Dieselcraft centrifuge works great -My filter and dewater rig
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 178

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dieselcraft centrifuge works great -My filter and dewater rig
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by augustIII:
Have put one of these together and am enjoying it. Thanks to all who have been so giving of their knowledge and experiences. It is a true gift to the community.

One more question...I have a pressure gauge plumbed in in a similar way to SunWizard's in his pics (T-ed in at the supply to the black steel heating tube just before) and am wondering if the gauge would be reading lower there than if plumbed in closer to the main stream (if you will) and the centrifuge itself and if so, is there a way calculate the variance in actual pressure v.s. what's showing on the gauge.

Oh ya, any one else losing the coating on the inside of the rotor cover?

Glad to hear of another who has got it working good.

I think that 1 motor may not be enough power for 2 CF.

I have switched to using a ball valve to fine tune the pressure by adjusting the amount of bypass, and have the pressure relief set about 120 as just a safety valve since it is hard to fine tune with it. So the pressure relief never pops now.

The pressure anywhere between the pump and the CF will be the same within a few psi since theres only minor flow restrictions to cause pressure drop.

Some of the zinc plating has come off my rotor cover, but has made no difference in how it works. VO and zinc don't like each other.

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Todd T. Luckily we have haven't many problems with plugging the 150 micron screens when transferring oil from the preheating drum into the centrifuge supply drum. The 70 micron screens are a different story.

We collect in cubes, settle for a week, pour into preheating drum through window screen, heat to about 100f and transfer with the 150 micron suction screen attached into supply drum (we're using the 7 gpm Tuthill eccentric pump mentioned earlier in the this thread). We recirculate back into the supply drum holding at 90+ psi to get the veg. up to 130-135f by closing a valve just before the centrifuge and opening one T-ed in before that one. It bypasses the centrifuge completely.

We too dial in the pressure at the centrifuge using those valves by doing the opposite (only we're always bypassing some back into the supply drum and can never just close down the bypass valve {too much flow = too much pressure in our set up}). Has the added benefit of helping to keep the supply drum warm though. Very consistent pressures now that we're pre-prefiltering for the most part, and have gotten used to the sound of increased or deceased pressures enough to make micro adjustments when necessary.

SunWizard you may be right about that motor. Ours has the great feature of shutting itself down when its thermally maxed (saw this when the power steering pump clogged) and might just "see what happens" with adding another pump since it'd be so easy to tie another one in.

"Coche" '82 300td vegetable powered

Location: San Francisco, Ca | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Just a note, I installed a 2nd pressure gauge at a different location and the 2 gauges were not reading the same pressure. They where as much as 35 psi difference. At first, I could not explain the difference because I can't believe a gauge could be off by 35 psi. Then I realized that I may have been the victim of some kind of "Venturi Effect".

I am using a cross to mount my pressure gage. I am using the same cross to vent back to the tank to control pressure. When I open the valve, WVO would flow at a fast rate back to the tank. This creates a venturi effect on the pressure gage causing it to read lower. Faster moving fluids have lower pressure according the to the Bernoulli principle.

So, just a note, if you are measuring the pressure from a tee or cross setup with fast moving fluids flowing across it, just be aware that the pressure you are reading may be lower than the actual pressure experienced by the CF.

My other gage was reading 75 psi while my main gauge was reading 40-45 psi. I would tend to believe the 75 psi reading because this appears to be close to where my 70 psi pressure relief valve opens.

On a positive note, I would like to report that my OC-30 seems to be dewatering adequately even though it is leaking. I can not achieve greater pressures because of this. I suspect I am not filtering properly so I installed a 2-micron CIMTek filter on the output. So, for now I am just using it to dewater.

Location: KTown - Itch Capital of the World | Registered: June 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After finally digesting all 40+ posts I decided to research oil centrifuging on the web regarding industrial oil cleaning - Very interesting to know, some websites say "The lower the oil’s temperature, the more effective the water removal process will be due to much of the water existing in the emulsified and free states" Hmmm... seems there is much testing to be done to see which temps yield the most efficient/best results!

If anyone's interested in the water in oil link...
http://www.noria.com/learning_center/category_article.a...ookgroup=OilAnalysis

Location: North Central Illinois | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

just a quick note on Acura pumps. I bought this one and like the others two I tried it worked for 2 spins and then crapped out.

Accura
Pump

you may need to go to the 80's Paul. Wow flashback the 80's.
Chris

05 VW Pasatt TDI Pump Dusse
veg oil

Location: Brewster, NY | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried using the chrysler engine oil pump direct driven by a 1750 dc motor yet? I'm finishing up the mount and stuff an hope it will work. I bought the grainger relief valve but I am still hoping Paul Drayton will post a pic or a stock number to the Lowes valve. I went there today and could not find it even in the well pump section.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought the grainger relief valve but I am still hoping Paul Drayton will post a pic or a stock number to the Lowes valve. I went there today and could not find it even in the well pump section.

I use this Grainger valve for my CF:

1X624
1 Relief Valve, Calibrated Pressure, Size 1/2 In, MNPT x FNPT Connection, Material of Construction Brass, Pressure Range 50 To 75 PSI WATTS 530-1/2 $18.18

It has an adjustable valve setting without changing the spring which you can read the setting on the top of the valve, it also has a relief port that is easy to tube to the barrel.

For my fuel fill-up I use this bypass valve, also from Grainger:
Pressure Relief Valve, Maximum Flow 22 GPM, Inlet 3/4 Inch Male NPT, Outlet 3/4 Inch Female NPT, Pressure Range 0 to 250 PSI, Temperature 180 Degrees Fahrenheit DAYTON
3YB68 $25.05

With this valve I adjust the pressure at the top while watching my inline pressure gauge. I adjust to well below the max of my in line filters and it allows me to use a "gas station" nozzle to fuel my truck. As soon as my tank is full and I release the handle, the valve opens and the fuel returns to the storage barrel. Works slick with the larger of the Teel pumps I have.

I'm happy with those little Teel pumps, if I saw more sold on EBay I'd buy another.

Sam

2002 F250 Vegistroke now with the new V3 module!

Location: Wyoming | Registered: July 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, here it is - the Lowes pressure relief valve. I couldn't see a manufacturer on it, but I think it is Watts. I'll look in Lowes if I go there. It works really well - you can adjust the relief pressure pretty easily. Just screw off the top and use a screwdriver to turn the screw inside that holds the spring loaded stop.

Paul

1983 Mercedes 240D Single tank WVO - FPHE, Injector Line heaters, aux fuel pump. Water/Methanol Injection. Frantz bypass oil filter. - North Florida

ImageWaterTest2007-02-23_012.jpg (112 Kb, 130 downloads) Lowes Pressure Relief Valve

Location: Fernandina Beach, Florida | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul that pic is much more helpful. NOw to track one of those down.

posted Hide Post
Just been to Lowes. The pressure relief valve is made by Pro Plumber from Iowa, and rebranded as a Lowes item 49774.

see lowes

Paul

1983 Mercedes 240D Single tank WVO - FPHE, Injector Line heaters, aux fuel pump. Water/Methanol Injection. Frantz bypass oil filter. - North Florida

Location: Fernandina Beach, Florida | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again I looked it up at the website and it said they do not carry it at the local Tucson store but now it is nice to have a model number to go by.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul,

I looked it up on their web site, and it gave me two options; to purchase it online and have it shipped, or purchase it online and pick it up at my local Lowe's.

I like the fact that I can plumb it into my bypass.

I'll second tfdcruiser Thanks Again!

04 VW Jetta TDI
Biodiesel

posted Hide Post
Here is the VO particulate report with my revised filter system including the progression from CF to filter kidney looping. My cost to filter with this process is 26 cents a gallon. I am know cleaner than the ISO hyraulic Spec that Catapillar uses for high pressure Diesels. Going through this was a real leaning experience and now the Duramax is ready to be converted this coming weekend and no worries about fuel contaimination on a new vehicle. I put out the challenge for someone to acheive these cleaniness results with the CF. Would like to see it happen think of the filter life you would have even only needing a 10 mic filteration on the vehicle. Thanks for listening.

ImageVO_Particulate_Report__(Large).jpg (69 Kb, 92 downloads) VO Particulate Report

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Basshopper:
Here is the VO particulate report with my revised filter system including the progression from CF to filter kidney looping. My cost to filter with this process is 26 cents a gallon. I am know cleaner than the ISO hyraulic Spec that Catapillar uses for high pressure Diesels. Going through this was a real leaning experience and know the Duramax will be converted this coming weekend and no worries about fuel contaimination on a new vehicle. I put out the challenge for someone to acheive these cleaniness results with the CF. Would like to see it happen think of the filter life you would have even only needing a 10 mic filteration on the vehicle. Thanks for listening.

Hey Bass, It's interesting that your 9 pass always had an increase in particulate count. Have you been able to deteremine why the 9-pass has this increase? Could it be attibuted to you handling technique????

Location: KTown - Itch Capital of the World | Registered: June 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep busting my pressure gauge on my setup. After just 2 runs in two days, it reads steady at 35 psi even if the pressure is stopped and the gauge removed. I used oil pressure gauges made for engine oil. Am I using the right type? What do you guys recommend. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Drayton:
Just been to Lowes. The pressure relief valve is made by Pro Plumber from Iowa, and rebranded as a Lowes item 49774.

see lowes

Paul, would you please post a picture of your pressure relief set up between the pump and the CF. My first stab at it created a lot of foam, and little else.

Location: west georgia | Registered: July 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JackMAc, A few posts earlier I gave the address for my webpage with the pics and a video. I think it is
pressure relief valve

Don't know how you could get foam? Didn't think oil could foam.

Brain, have you got a 100PSI or a 200PSI gauge? I use a 200PSI so no spikes will kill it (as advised by SunWiz). I just use the cheapo water pressure gauge from Lowes.

Paul

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JojoJaro:
On a positive note, I would like to report that my OC-30 seems to be dewatering adequately even though it is leaking. I can not achieve greater pressures because of this. I suspect I am not filtering properly so I installed a 2-micron CIMTek filter on the output. So, for now I am just using it to dewater.

Hi JoJo,

Where is your OC-30 leaking? I was thinking of getting one but you're not finding it cleaning the oil as well as the smaller model?

Thanks,

Sam

2002 F250 Vegistroke now with the new V3 module!

Location: Wyoming | Registered: July 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JojoJaro:
quote:
Here is the VO particulate report with my revised filter system including the progression from CF to filter kidney looping. My cost to filter with this process is 26 cents a gallon. I am know cleaner than the ISO hyraulic Spec that Catapillar uses for high pressure Diesels. Going through this was a real leaning experience and know the Duramax will be converted this coming weekend and no worries about fuel contaimination on a new vehicle. I put out the challenge for someone to acheive these cleaniness results with the CF. Would like to see it happen think of the filter life you would have even only needing a 10 mic filteration on the vehicle. Thanks for listening.

Hey Bass, It's interesting that your 9 pass always had an increase in particulate count. Have you been able to deteremine why the 9-pass has this increase? Could it be attibuted to you handling technique????

If you look at the overall its all pretty low even the 6 pass ea mic catagory has an increase. The lab told me that could be a test anomaly as its across the board and they were going to run the test for the 6 pass over. The only thing I can think of on the raise on the last pass especially on the 4 mic is that one of the filters was plugging up and it blew by the filter somehow or when I changed it some particulate went through. In either case all micron catagories are highly reduced below the spec and will be good to go. I will continue to monitor and take samples periodically to make sure it stays that way. So are you going to accept the challenge and do some lab testing on your system???? The benchmark has been set so to speak. Would like to see somebody elses results to compare to my tests.

posted Hide Post
quote:
....If you look at the overall its all pretty low even the 6 pass ea mic catagory has an increase...
I wonder if Bass here is showing us that after 3 passes the effectivness of the DCCF is not just dramaticaly reduced but even begins to break away its contents collected previously and reintroduces them into the oil? Wish you had done a test on unfiltered oil as well as pass one two and three.

OH WAIT.... did I assume something. Is he saying that his new way does NOT even use the DCCF?

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post