BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Dieselcraft centrifuge works great -My filter and dewater rig
Page 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 178

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dieselcraft centrifuge works great -My filter and dewater rig
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks for your answer... They have no psi spec given on the manual. But I'm looking for a hard fact vs. just a guess. Has anyone actually tried the pump I'm talking about? Again it's the blue water pump 5.5 GPM from Harbor Freight.
Thanks,
Nick

95 Ford Powerstroke Diesel 2 tanks diy
84 GMC 6.2 Diesel
Had: Several Diesel Mercedes

Location: Missouri | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I have tried the pump and it won't work. It makes it spin but very slowly. Too low of pressure, evangelos is right. "rock hard" is not a good enough pressure measurement Wink

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a temp and pressure gage in one unit does anybody know where i can purchase one also when running the dieselcraft centrifuge the oil coming out has a lot of bubbles in it but clears up after setting a while is this normal i have checked the connections and they are tight my system requires a bypass also Grainger has some Teel pumps left over for $ 77.00 dollars these are discontinued items as are some of the carbonator type mount 1/3 HP motors used for teel pumps they are liste in the online catalog not in ther paper catalog you need to get the pump number and call them and they will look in their inventory mine were in a warehouse in Washington State i bought 2 of them and they said they had 2 more of the model i bought but they had quite a few other models left in there system they run quiet as they are brand new.

Location: Kennesaw Ga. | Registered: September 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SunWizard:
Get a pump that does as close as you can to 1gpm at 90psi and you have no or little bypass. The VO that is bypassing uses very little added energy. Heating is the main energy by far, so if you want to save energy, do inline heaters.

Thanks SunWizard, Sam and everyone who replied.

I'd like to go with a used PS gear pump coupled with my 1/3HP 1725 RPM GE motor. How do I determine which PS gear pump will give me minimal bypass? Are the pumps similar enough that this is a function of my pulley sizes?

I'm also trying to find a combo temp/pressure gauge. This is the best I've found, but pressure in insufficient.
http://houseneeds.com/shop/HeatingProducts/HydronicHeat...tempgaugebuypage.asp

If anyone knows of a good temp/pressure gauge, I'd love a link.

Heat -- Sounds like inline heat is the way to go to get to 160+. However, I will also need some tank heeat or I will have gelled oil in the winter. Rather than try to address both needs in one heating system, I think I will look for a good in-tank system to keep the oil in the 70F range.

posted Hide Post
If you are using a used PS pump, you have little choice, 80 Acuras are the only ones I have seen. Adjusting pulley size is what you do.

For tank heat, I use a simple, cheap bucket heater from my farm store. Just like this one on ebay. Mine was $25. I switch to the inline heat as quick as I can since its more efficient and less likely to burn the VO.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sun. perhaps I ought to consider a better pump.

Is anyone using this pump? 1/3 HP @ 1725 RPM is my motor.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/p..._200329714_200329714

would this be appropriate?

posted Hide Post
Is there a way to tell if a pump is a vane or gear pump?

Ebay has some nice pumps, if these are the right pumps. Before you guys buy 'em all, can you confirm this is the right pump so I can get one of them? a search for "integra power steering pump" yielded several of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-89-acura-integra-OEM-...dZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

posted Hide Post
Yes that looks like the one. I haven't tested one, but someone else in this thread got it to work.

You look in a shop manual or spec. sheet to tell. A gear pump has 2 gears inside, each with its own shaft, which makes the 2 bumps you see on oberdorfers and teels. But some have no visible bumps like that. A vane only has 1 shaft so is usually smaller.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slickhorn:
Heat -- Sounds like inline heat is the way to go to get to 160+. However, I will also need some tank heeat or I will have gelled oil in the winter. Rather than try to address both needs in one heating system, I think I will look for a good in-tank system to keep the oil in the 70F range.

For my CF tank I use a tank heater that has a 12 inch long 1/2 black pipe connected next to the element with a barb connection to high temp hose on one end. This sits on the bottom of that tank and should be as efficient as an inline heater, any heat that doesn't go up the pipe would just go into the surrounding oil, and that is insulated. The output is to the DieselCraft or bypass.

For my settling tank, the same setup sits about a foot above the bottom to avoid picking up any water. Most of my past problems with emulsified oil were problems of my own making. For the output I take the hot oil and run it through hose coiled at the bottom, before it exits at the bottom. That way I heat the bottom of the tank without having the element on the bottom.

Sam

2002 F250 Vegistroke now with the new V3 module!

Location: Wyoming | Registered: July 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flt eng:
Grainger has some Teel pumps left over for $ 77.00 dollars these are discontinued items as are

What model of Teel pump is this?

Thanks,

Sam

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Crowe:

For my CF tank I use a tank heater that has a 12 inch long 1/2 black pipe connected next to the element with a barb connection to high temp hose on one end. This sits on the bottom of that tank and should be as efficient as an inline heater, any heat that doesn't go up the pipe would just go into the surrounding oil, and that is insulated. The output is to the DieselCraft or bypass.
Sam

Thanks Sam. I'm having a hard time picturing this ... are using the black pipe as a heat exchanger? how is the heating element attached to the black pipe?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slickhorn:
Thanks Sam. I'm having a hard time picturing this ... are using the black pipe as a heat exchanger? how is the heating element attached to the black pipe?

No problem. It isn't as complicated as I made it sound. It is just your standard bucket heater that has a pipe attached with hose clamps so the pipe sucks the oil near the element. Since the pump is drawing something near 3 gpm it draws a lot of oil across the element. I don't heat without having the pump on, even if I'm not running the CF.

Sam

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flt eng:
Grainger has some Teel pumps left over for $ 77.00 dollars these are discontinued items as are

What model of Teel pump is this?

Thanks,TEEL Model # 2P383B

Sam

Location: Kennesaw Ga. | Registered: September 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teel pump model # is 2p383b Grainger had 2 left when i purchased mine this one has relief valve

posted Hide Post
quote:
It is just your standard bucket heater that has a pipe attached with hose clamps so the pipe sucks the oil near the element.
Sam

So pump pulls oil from the pipe, which is attached on the other end to the heater and spot heats, similar to a heated vehicle tank pickup? Nice!

I have yet another question: I need to find a mount for my motor. It's this motor, and I can only find a mount at Grainger. Anyone else know of a source?

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-E-5KH39QN9696BX-1-3HP-1PH-AC-MOTO...640415QQcmdZViewItem

posted Hide Post
Here is an 1989 ACURA (Honda) Legend PS-gearpump with a 1400 rpm ABB fleamarket motor: (total $23 and works great and silent)

Swede!

Imagepump.jpg (17 Kb, 128 downloads)

Location: Sweden | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And here is my oil-rig:

Swede!

Imagetunnan.jpg (32 Kb, 118 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Looks good. What kind of motor is that? Did it come with the stepped pulley?

posted Hide Post
Yes it came with a stepped pulley!

In Europe we normaly have ~1400 rpm as we have 50 Hz. (50/60) x 1700 = ~1400 rpm. $4 at a fleamarket.

Question: Can I reverse the gearpump to emty the rig?
Or is it a "no-no"?

Swede!