BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Dieselcraft centrifuge works great -My filter and dewater rig
Page 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 178

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dieselcraft centrifuge works great -My filter and dewater rig
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I think the best test is to put a small amounts of each sample in a large container, such as 1/2 gallon in a 5 gallon cubie. Then close tightly and set it in your storage area, and test it by opening and quickly smelling each sample every few weeks. See how long it takes for each to develop a paint smell, which indicates a good amount of poly going on.

A TDS meter test on those same samples would also probably indicate when poly is going on, since the poly process creates acidic byproducts.

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey sun not to change subject here but i talked about drilling holes in the top of my rotor cover to help the steam exit i finally got the balls to do it..drilled 2 small holes near the nut i havnt noticed any puffs of steam when i take the cover off anymore so its getting out somehow now eithier by exiting through the holes or the hole giving a small flow of air through the rotor housing so it can exit through the bottom..btw my output is dropped about a foot

Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SunWizard:
1. I always clean after every shutdown.

I'll agree. I got busy one time and left it for a couple of days and I thought I was going to have to sandblast the stuff out of it.

Trucks, trucks, got too many trucks. Can you have too many trucks?

Location: central ohio | Registered: May 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Crowe:
... But it could be that the post-CF oil penetrated deeper so was actually thinner, and that explains why the center looks darker?...

Are you saying your paper is laying on a brown table and it may the the table color showing thru the post CF sample?

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you said George is unreadable due to it being off to the right of the pic. If you edit and take out the pic it would help.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whatever you said George is unreadable due to it being off to the right of the pic. If you edit and take out the pic it would help.
Thanks Sun I saw that. I was doing a little dance with edit trying to fix that when you posted.

Figured it out. He has a left command code in IMG string that forces the image to be to the left of text. I saw another post above that has some unreadable text off the side too. Might be the orginal post. Don't remember exactly.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you saying your paper is laying on a brown table and it may the the table color showing thru the post CF sample?

Hi Coach

No that isn't the table, the fiber board (card board) does have color on the other side, but not that dark, I honestly don't know what that is. In the picture it looks like some of the black goop, but in real life it doesn't look like that - so you got me. I just need to continue looking into it.

Sam

2002 F250 Vegistroke now with the new V3 module!

Location: Wyoming | Registered: July 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SunWizard- a guy on Mercedes Shop Forum mentioned your craft and it looks great! You may have had this question before but why did you make it a closed loop in one barrel vs. having one dirty 55 gal pass through your rig then into a new clean 55 gal?

My neighbor brought this to my attention when I showed him your design... he said the oil could make a path from the output of the CF to the bottom where it's being sucked from during the filtering process. This would make it take a lot longer to filter due to much of the same oil being filtered over and over again.

However if it was from one drum into a new drum, all the oil would be filtered through the CF in the first pass. Just wanted to hear your thuoghts on that.
Nick

95 Ford Powerstroke Diesel 2 tanks diy
84 GMC 6.2 Diesel
Had: Several Diesel Mercedes

Location: Missouri | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NickSorenson:
SunWizard- a guy on Mercedes Shop Forum mentioned your craft and it looks great! You may have had this question before but why did you make it a closed loop in one barrel vs. having one dirty 55 gal pass through your rig then into a new clean 55 gal?

My neighbor brought this to my attention when I showed him your design... he said the oil could make a path from the output of the CF to the bottom where it's being sucked from during the filtering process. This would make it take a lot longer to filter due to much of the same oil being filtered over and over again.

However if it was from one drum into a new drum, all the oil would be filtered through the CF in the first pass. Just wanted to hear your thuoghts on that.
Nick

If you read this thread, it gets asked every few pages, I will add it to the summary on page 1. I tried it, and so have many others, it doesn't reduce the number of passes, and it makes it much harder to run since you need to be there each time before the barrel runs out to prevent pump damage and capture the output of water and goo from the CF. And you need to clean the rotor much more, each time it runs out. Its not worth it.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
Hey SW,
True about the stopping thing when the fluid runs out. But it wouldn't be that hard to make it never run out... with a little planning and some electronic creativity (which you've proven you have got a bunch by making this rig) you can easilly use two separate barrells. Here's how I'd make it never stop running (until you stop it).
Use some type of level sensing switch ---maybe a toilet float??? But have the oil filtered from the bottom of the dirty barrell to the clean one. Then have a sensor that tells when the dirty barrell is almost out of fluid and kick on a clear water pump (harbor freight 7 gal minute for $30) to pump it from the bottom of the clean barrell back to the dirty for more cycling. You could even set a timer to go off after the time of 3 passes etc.

But this way, you have 3 (or more) passes that you know are serial (not the same oil in a loop).

You could get more complicated (and automated) if you wanted to. But simple is usually best. But I'm sure a timer circuit and relay could be implimented to stop it after a certain amount of passes and even some type of valve to switch the output of the CF to the trash before it stops could be a part of the design. (maybe our pollaks from the carsSmile But seriously I'm sure valves are out there that could easily route the oil to trash before the CF pukes the trash back into the cleaned oil.

But I think this would be a more efficient way to skin this cat. Fully automated and as efficient as possible would be the best way.

quote:

If you read this thread, it gets asked every few pages, I will add it to the summary on page 1. I tried it, and so have many others, it doesn't reduce the number of passes, and it makes it much harder to run since you need to be there each time before the barrel runs out to prevent pump damage and capture the output of water and goo from the CF. And you need to clean the rotor much more, each time it runs out. Its not worth it.

84 GMC 6.2 Diesel

Location: Missouri | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes you could add extra switches and a pump, creating more places for a catastrophic failure. But I didn't get any benefit as I said from my testing, since my rig can be run with 2 tanks.

I think keeping it simple as possible, both in construction and how its run, is the best way, and its also cheaper, and much more compact for a mobile rig which is another reason for my design.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
One tank is definitely less floor space and a hundred bucks or so cheaper.

So you tested it, one drum into a new drum with the same amount of time. For example if it takes 55 minutes to filter one drum into a new drum... you'd test 55 minutes of filtering in just the closed loop single drum.

The reason I ask is that I really don't think that a continuous loop in one drum could be as filter efficient as 100% of the oil passing through the CF and into a new drum. That would mean 100% of the oil was CF'd, where my guess is around 50% filtered in a closed loop system in the same amount of time. That's just a guess it could be less but I'm sure it's not 100%. Some of the same oil would for CERTAIN be cycled over and over. That's why I think it'd be better to have two barrels. Your concept is great but I just think it'd be more efficient if it was not just one barrel. If designed properly the system should not fail. It is extra bulk but I think it may be helpful. In a closed loop one barrel, I think there is a percentage of the oil that wouldn't get filtered if you ran the thing for 2 or 3 days. I think it'd be a small percentage. But still that makes for particulate that we are trying to eliminate before going into our tanks.

quote:
Yes you could add extra switches and a pump, creating more places for a catastrophic failure. But I didn't get any benefit as I said from my testing, since my rig can be run with 2 tanks.

I think keeping it simple as possible, both in construction and how its run, is the best way, and its also cheaper, and much more compact for a mobile rig which is another reason for my design.

84 GMC 6.2 Diesel

posted Hide Post
Yes I tested it several times doing my usual 4 passes measured by time at 55gph. With the CF we are going over and over the same VO many passes by design. So its not an issue that "some of the same oil would for CERTAIN be cycled over and over".

Note that the barrel is well stirred since there is a large bypass flow getting dumped into the barrel down low, along with the CF dumping into the top, which means there are no pockets of VO that don't make it through.

Please build a CF rig with your idea, and then do some detailed testing as I have done, and report the results here. You could run split batches of the same VO, and measure the weight of the rotor after 4 passes and compare. I believe the amount removed will be very close between the 2 ways of running it. My comparisons were visual by looking at the amount of goo when I wipe the rotor, you could discern finer <5% differences like you are likely to see by measuring weight.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
How are you dumping the bypass fuel back into your drum? I suggest a pipe down to within a couple inches of the bottom with a 45 or a 90 on the end. Pointed in line with the outside of the drum this will create a nice circulation of the oil down low for good turnover.

Sometimes we can get inadequate mixing in a round container. A chemical blending trick is to add some baffles along the outside wall. This could be something as simple as a piece of 2" angle iron to make a V jutting out into the oil flow. If nothing else a couple of 3/4" pipes along the sides of the drum will encourage good mixing.

Todd

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One tank is definitely less floor space and a hundred bucks or so cheaper.

So you tested it, one drum into a new drum with the same amount of time. For example if it takes 55 minutes to filter one drum into a new drum... you'd test 55 minutes of filtering in just the closed loop single drum.

Hi Nick,

I tested it as well, including weighing the deposits in my CF, and posted the results earlier in this thread. I concluded it just didn't add much efficiency of cleaning to have to move the oil between barrels.

Sam

2002 F250 Vegistroke now with the new V3 module!

Location: Wyoming | Registered: July 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Sam and SunWiz,
It's nice to hear from a couple of guys who've tried it. I think I may try both ways as well.

I've observed this forum several months and finally am starting to post. This is definitely the most interesting/usefull thread I've seen (in my opinion).

Anyways, as far as weighing the rotor as a test... I think that is definitely a usefull test but it may not be the most accurate test since some of the smaller stuff we're trying to catch is in the 5-10 micron range. It'd take a whole bunch of contamination in that size range to be even amount to 1 ounce. What I wonder is this:

If you were to sample 4 ounces from 10 different spots in the barrel on each method of running the CF, how much of the <20 micron would be in each and also how much of the <10 micron.

If it is indeed the same, I think the two barrel thing is definitely a waste of space.

quote:
Originally posted by Sam Crowe:
Hi Nick,

I tested it as well, including weighing the deposits in my CF, and posted the results earlier in this thread. I concluded it just didn't add much efficiency of cleaning to have to move the oil between barrels.

Sam

84 GMC 6.2 Diesel

posted Hide Post
quote:
It'd take a whole bunch of contamination in that size range to be even amount to 1 ounce.

It removes a whole bunch of particles, very easily compared by measuring, as long as you have an accurate scale, like my digital postal scale. And it would take a sizable difference such as >20% more removed in 4 hours for me to think it was worth the extra space, cost, and risk of having 2 tanks.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
Hi Sun. Iam new to this forum and must again thank you and too many others to mention for the great efforts you have all put into this project. I live in Australia and are running a mercedes vito 2.2 turbo common rail CDI engine. From what I can make from the 53 pages I have read so far is. If I suck my WVO through a 100 micron screen then do a dozen or so passes with the CF at about 160 f then once through a 1 micron filter I should be good to go?. That is of course I get a good supply of oil. As you know the common rails run a high pressure IP and I would' nt like to guess how much the replacement cost is. At the moment it's running on a two tank elsbett system on pure canola oil $$$$$$ which cost more than regular diesel. However I think I can meet the quality standard with a CF setup like this.I plan to run a similar set up to rich's and heat the oil with a hot water urn. It's a 40 liter one and thats about as much as I use in a week. Your comments and research is much appreciated.

Imageside.JPG (587 Kb, 40 downloads)

Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpman:
If I suck my WVO through a 100 micron screen then do a dozen or so passes with the CF at about 160 f then once through a 1 micron filter I should be good to go?.

Sounds good. A 150 micron screen is enough. Less passes may be enough, one way to decide would be if you are clogging your 1 micron (absolute) filter quicker than you like.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
Screen -- MICRON -OR- MESH, 100 micron screen is pretty fine and likely to clog a lot using it directly from a dumpster, at least the dumpsters that I used to collect from. I gave up using even window screen on the pickup wand due to constant aggrivation caused by the screen clogging.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post