BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Dieselcraft centrifuge works great -My filter and dewater rig
Page 1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... 178

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dieselcraft centrifuge works great -My filter and dewater rig
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scoutsdad:
I just ordered a FilterFuge FF60. The price has gone up - $295 + $20 shipping.

Because I am an idiot, I still cannot get a grip on the motor and pump needed. Clearly, I want a gear pump. The centrifuge manufacturer wants 2 gpm and 90 psi.

I contact Suplus Center to couple up a gear pump with a motor to meet the above specs. The tech recommended 9-7145-B (pump) and 10-2367 (motor). My concern was that the specs for the pump said "Pressure 3625 PSI max." Paul at FilterFuge (very helpful) said the psi was way too high - the pump would not work correctly. While the recommended 1/2 hp motor may be overkill, there is no reason it would not work.

I'm a pencil pusher with no relevant experience. So, here are my dumb questions.

Does the pump have to be designed for oil or will a water pump work?

Do I need to find a pump with specs of 2 gpm and 90 psi?

Will any motor work so long as it has sufficient hp, ie too much hp won't hurt so long as I get the right rpm?

Can standard motors / pumps be adjusted to regulate the gpm and psi?

Do the relief valve just allow a diversion of enough fluid to maintain the proper psi? So, if the psi is far too high, most of oil will return untreated to reservoir?

All help is appreciated.

Correct, these pumps build pressure if they have something to pump against, in the fuge there are two nozzles that the oil jets out of which causes the high speed rotation, these nozzles are pretty small so they will build pressure, so you need a pressure relief valve and/or a ball valve to set your pressure to the correct psi, the extra oil just vents out of the valve back toi the tank.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What have you guys experienced with taking the bypassed oil and reintroducing it into the intake of the pump?
Seems to me this would eliminate the recontamination of the oil.

Location: Andover, MA | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
Anybody know what the OC50 is going for these days?

$499 with the base, 2 tees, guage, valve, 2 hose barbs.

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoveggie:
What have you guys experienced with taking the bypassed oil and reintroducing it into the intake of the pump?

That is OK but it doesn't eliminate recontamination.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An idea to avoid recontamination using one 55 gal open top drum:

Direct the CF drain and bypass oil into a 55 gal garbage bag "floating" on top of the oil. When the bag is full, lift the bag from the bottom (using a string and marble tied to bag bottom previously) to empty oil back into the drum and start over. Same idea as a bladder in a water pressure tank except it's not pressurized. Downside is you have to be there to tend to it.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that I think about, the oil that bypasses the CF isn't any cleaner than the oil picked up from the tank anyway. Really, one would need to direct the oil exiting the CF to the intake, and that would reduce the water removal.

Sam

2002 F250 Vegistroke now with the new V3 module!

Location: Wyoming | Registered: July 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If piped so only clean oil enters top of barrel from the CF, would the warmer cleaner oil from the CF sit on top while the cooler dirtier oil tend to sit lower in the barrel offering a bit of separation thereby reducing the amount of recontamination?
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Crowe:
quote:

Now that I think about, the oil that bypasses the CF isn't any cleaner than the oil picked up from the tank anyway. Really, one would need to direct the oil exiting the CF to the intake, and that would reduce the water removal.

Sam

Location: Andover, MA | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an old dishwasher pump sitting around that I put on the drain port of my barrel. The pump intake is 2" so it fit perfectly, and it has a 3/4" port off the side of the intake housing where I draw oil for the hydraulic pump that feeds the CF.

The output of the dishwasher pump is run over and back up in to the bottom of the barrel along the edge with an elbow inside the barrel to direct the flow to turn the oil in the barrel cyclone style.

I put the dishwasher pump on a timer so that it cycles for a minute every 15. It keeps everything mixed up and makes sure it all gets through the CF a couple of times.

posted Hide Post
quote:
If piped so only clean oil enters top of barrel from the CF, would the warmer cleaner oil from the CF sit on top while the cooler dirtier oil tend to sit lower in the barrel offering a bit of separation thereby reducing the amount of recontamination?

The law of physics says it would.

posted Hide Post
Six months after I constructed the CF Sunwizard designed I have put my first Eight (8) Gallons in the 55 gallon drum. Eight Gallons for several reasons. I want to make sure there are no leaks on the seams before I get going. Secondly, the bottom quarter of the cubie is cloudy so I stopped pouring at that point. Do you guys dump in everything or pick off the top? What is the cloudiness. Lastly, I think I will run the first eight (8) Gallons through the piping to clean it out. I used Real Tuff teflon paste and I am sure some of it is on the inside of the pipes along with whatever else comes inside cast iron pipes. Should I be concerned about teflon paste at all? Should I even run it through the CF or just run it through the piping then dump? Is there any concern about a rusty barrel?
Sorry for rambling but I am so excited to begin this journey that I have only read about from you guys.
If I seem frantic it is because my mother's day gift, on Sunday, to my wife is giving her and my son a ride in the truck powered by Veggie Oil. It is the least I can do since I have been a recluse in the garage for Six months.

posted Hide Post
My motor came with no pulley or shaft. Just a slot that looks like a flat head screwdriver will fit. My hydraulic pump came with just a shaft.

Where do you get the pulleys and shafts???

posted Hide Post
A motor with no shaft??

Can you post a pic?

posted Hide Post
quote:
my mother's day gift, on Sunday, to my wife is giving her and my son a ride in the truck powered by Veggie Oil

Why do I think that she may be seriously underwhelmed by this?

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tcr1016:
My motor came with no pulley or shaft. Just a slot that looks like a flat head screwdriver will fit. My hydraulic pump came with just a shaft.

Where do you get the pulleys and shafts???

Thats a Carbonator motor, they need a special coupler, here is some on ebay for $5 and a special type of pump with no shaft and the same kind of slot. Most carbonator pumps are vane pumps so don't work as well.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
The pump is a gear pump, but where do I get the pulleys??

posted Hide Post
Tractor Supply , Grainger, McMaster-Carr

quote:

1994 F250 IDI 7.3 NA E4OD

Remember that the forum search/"find" feature does not include the archives . Search the forum archives here-

http://www.biodieseldiscussion.com/forums/search.php

posted Hide Post
quote:

You can't put a pulley on that motor. That motor will not work with that pump, as I explained above.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4

posted Hide Post
Why will it not work?? The spec are below:
Baldor spec# 34G40X17
1/3 hp
115 volts
6.6 amps
1725 RPMs

posted Hide Post
Is this a better motor??? It has 1/3HP or do I need more?? it is 115V and has 100RPMs??? What are the minimums the motor needs to be??

http://cgi.ebay.com/FASCO-ELECTRIC-MOTOR-1-3HP-115V-105..._trksid=p3286.c0.m14

posted Hide Post
That depends on what CF and what pump you got.

95 Dodge Cummins 4x4