Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Dumpster diving wand Idea
 Login/Join

posted
I was thumbing thru the new H.Freight catalog and saw the LP flame throwers. My mind went back to this topic.

Picture is worth a thousand words.

Light Blue is LP gas to a cheapo flame thrower.

Purple is an copper suction pipe clamped to a 4" or so size pipe with say hose clampls. Notice copper pipe bends to where its openting is under the "T" Also in hose clamps is a bracket made of flat iron bent so it will hang on the edge of dumpster/barrell.

Inside the 4" pipe is inserted a cheapo flame thrower from Harbor Freight. Around 25 buks. The ends of the pipe are CLOSED except where you insert the flame thrower. The flame thrower heats up the 4" pipe. The copper pipe clamped to it in turn gets heated as well. The oil surrounding the pipe gets heated so it is easly sucked up by the copper tube. What should the 4" pipe be made of? Copper, steel, ???

If your real handy and you think the suction tube can handle it I guess you could put the coper suction tube inside the 4" pipe and have it exit out the bottom or the end of one side of the "T". Would be difficult cause you cant soder this because the torch could melt the soder.

wonder if their is a way to adapt this to where you boil off water at the same time? hmmmmmmm.

blend powered (WVO blends)
Jeepn Moggin Jessup

Imagediving_wand.jpg (12 Kb, 119 downloads) dumpster diving heated pickup

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Simular idea as above except you use say some kind of metal bucket. Screen on bottom of bucket so no real nasty junk enters it thru the bottom. You insert bucket into dumpster/barrell of yucky oil. It fills up from the bottom. Use same heating wand like before inserted into this confined space of bucket. Left out of picture is meat thermometer to see if your hot enough to boil off water but not to hot to cause smoking of oil. Also left out of picture is hooks to hang it in the dumpster/barrell. Suck out oil (purple) from where the water has boiled off? I assume this to be just below surface of the oil. I turned suck nuzzle upward so not to suck in raising water droplets that are boiling out.

Will this work?

Jeepn Moggin Jessup

Imagediving_wand2.jpg (14 Kb, 117 downloads) W/water boil off

posted Hide Post
Neat looken setup,

However It would take a lot of energy to run it......

My only concern is that you would need to supply an enormous amount of heat to melt and or warm the WVO. Confused

If we assume the WVO has similar thermo properties to that of water, the amount of energy to heat 20 gallons from 35 F to 75 F is something like 20 gal x 8.33 lbs/gal x 40 F or 6,700 BTU which is not too bad...

(the energy required to raise 1 pound of water 1 degree F is 1 BTU....)

But if you have to melt....... the WVO...... then it becomes a bigger issue....

For water the latent heat of fusion is like 970 BTU / lb..........

So to melt 20 gallons of ice........

20 gal x 8.33 lbs/gal x 970 = 161,600 BTU.!
Which is a lot of energy! Eek (like my residential oil boiler running constant for 1.3 hours)

(guess that is why they used to use ice to cool things...... like my grand parents "ice box".......)

Yes, I know WVO does not have exactly the same values of water...... but you get the gereral idea.

Regards, Smile

Eric

Location: Central, Massachusetts USA | Registered: February 18, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Solid WVO would take much less energy to melt than solid water. The reason is all the hydrogen bonding in the crystal structure of water. These bonds take energy to break. WVO would have little if any hydrogen bonding to worry about. This is also the reason ice is less dense than water; the hydrogen bonding creates a more open crystalline structure.

Keep everything as simple as possible, but no simpler

--Albert Einstein

Location: Southington, OH | Registered: January 24, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
also the walls of the bucket is intended to be a barrior (though not perfect one) so that your not specifically heating the whole tank but primarily just the oil that has made its way into the bucket.

Jeepn Moggin Jessup

posted Hide Post
Jeepin,

I'd say build it and try it out! We can theorize till we are blue in the face, Eek....... and it looks like a fun project!

Just do it!
Big Grin
Eric

Location: Central, Massachusetts USA | Registered: February 18, 2003Report This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric in Central Massachusetts 85 VW Jet:
Jeepin,

I'd say build it and try it out! We can theorize till we are blue in the face, Eek....... and it looks like a fun project!

Just do it!
Big Grin
Eric

I dont need it yet. I get most my oil in Cubeys.

Jeepn Moggin Jessup

posted Hide Post
The specific heat of soybean oil is .47 BTU/lb-*F, so, rounding to .5 would mean half the amount of heat to raise the same amount of water by the same amount.

Eric, the latent heat of fusion for water is 144 BTU/lb, its the latent heat of vaporization that is 970 BTU/lb...and I'm not sure of the relative amounts of energy necessary to melt a gel vs. a true solid...

Mahalo and Aloha,
S. L. "Red" Pike, Naval Architect/Marine Engineer, USCG Licensed First Assistant Engineer
"Sustained superior performance through continuous incremental improvement."

Location: White Plains, NY USA | Registered: February 16, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a neet idea. I would hate to be the one pulling that bucket out of the dumpster, though!

Location: Phoenx, AZ | Registered: May 01, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barker:
Looks like a neet idea. I would hate to be the one pulling that bucket out of the dumpster, though!

hmmmmmmm good point. Would need to device a way to lift it and hang it over the dumpster/barrell. Then you could shoot the body of it with the flame thrower so the bulky cruded oil melts and just drips right off. Then whipe it clean.

Jeepn Moggin Jessup