BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  Single Tank Systems    no conversion required??????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

no conversion required??????
 Login/Join

posted
I'd like you guys advice on this

Someone has told me that i could put straight canola oil into a hilux without any conversion is this true if some white spirit is added to it??

Any advice very welcome

posted Hide Post
Yes, you "could put straight canola oil into a hilux without any conversion". Doing so will likely shorten the useful lifespan of the engine, but it will no doubt run for a while. Look here for useful information on how to correctly blend VO fuels. http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...s/a/frm/f/9751014871

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at blending (sort of an art) or a 2 tank system (usually best in the long run ). Either way , properly filtered and dewatered oil entering the fuel system needs to be very close to the viscosity of diesel . I have a 2 tank system on one vehicle and blend on the other (used mostly for short trip driving) .

1994 F250 IDI 7.3 NA E4OD

Remember that the forum search/"find" feature does not include the archives . Search the forum archives here-

http://www.biodieseldiscussion.com/forums/search.php

posted Hide Post
yes im well aware of the mixing process have some friends that have been doing it for some time now

im not to keen in a 2 tank system because of the cost to set it up

but i spose if it will help greatly in the long run i might consider it

posted Hide Post
It is very important that the engine is running properly, compression, valve adjustments, injection timing needs to advances somewhat, glow plugs and injectors fully tested, and the injectors need to be set to the maximum end of the spec pop pressure. If that is all the case, then the next thing to consider is your climate. If it is a gentle warm, temperate climate, and you use a block heater, it might be OK....

You absolutely cannot have animal fats or hydrogenated oils.

1984 Volvo 240
Elsbett 1 tank/glow plugs/injector nozzles/FPHE/fuel filter heater system, block heater, ILH
20%Kero, 80%WVO winter blend

Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
injection timing needs to advances somewhat

That is an option, but not a 'need' for running VO-ULSD blends.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thanks for the advice

and the climate because im in australia the lowest it probably gets would be -10 degress celcius
which is pretty low
but on the up side the lowest it would get in summer would be 12 degress or something close to that

posted Hide Post
Send a PM to DCS in Sydney, he's got the best advice for your locale.

posted Hide Post
The injection timing would need to be advanced somewhat IF you are running a blend that is mostly VO, as I do. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I agree about contacting David/DCS.

1984 Volvo 240
Elsbett 1 tank/glow plugs/injector nozzles/FPHE/fuel filter heater system, block heater, ILH
20%Kero, 80%WVO winter blend

Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think that at the least you'd also want to put in a flat plate heat exchanger before the fuel filter for 2 reasons. #1. Save the life of your fuel filter. Clean or not, oil tends to clog those things up faster but not so bad when warm. 2. Injection. Even if you're cold starting, at the least you can have the oil be hot most of the time and not risk engine damage in the long run so much. Maybe you could even throw in an electrical unit to heat your coolant before startups? Drawing from the tank is still no good if it gels up though.

posted Hide Post
By using Ebay for used parts,and flea markets,and fatty wagon heaters,I made my 2 tank with manual valves for less than $475. That includes my 10 to 14 psi electric fuel pump.

126 diesels yahoo groups
83 SD straight exhaust 94 Cobra
Cold air,real cold.Cobra electric radiator fan,Monark nozzles,10 psi electric fuel pump.85 amp alternator 12" subs.23 psi boost, 30 micron filter,an 5 micron filter added
2 tank,wvo,boost guage ,line heaters,coolant heater Fattywagons customer. 99 S320 with 75 more hp.

Location: Bristol Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can definitely be done pretty cheap by using ebay and some of these online stores. I got my heat exchanger really cheap at Duda Diesel Ebay is a good source for tanks... valves are the tricky one I think. It's hard to find a good 3 way valve out there for a good price. But fuel pumps, filters and all that stuff, dirt cheap on ebay or that site I linked too is pretty good.