Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single Tank Role Call
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I am thinking of setting up a single tank SVO rig on my '80 MB 300CD. I live in the deep south where it is hot most of the year. The kit that mercedes source (link below) sells was my first choice. Does anyone else have a better suggestion. building my own kit from scratch would be cool too.

http://www.mercedessource.com/node/4636

'80 MB 300CD
'81 MD 240D
'81 VW Rabbit pickup
'91 Toyota MR2

Location: North Mississippi | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are going to run single tank you want to ensure your engine is in good order.
Injectors, glow plugs, injection timing, valve adjustment, starter motor, charging system, battery, thermostat and your engines compression all need to be good to ensure trouble free motoring.

Looks like their kit is a filter, hand pump and electric fuel heater (I guess made using a glow plug?) with all pipes, wires etc. Looks well assembled and components look good quality - although I've never been too keen on glow plug based fuel heaters.

For the same kind of money I could do you a Bosch electrically heated filter, filter mounted diaphragm hand pump. Also heavy duty glow plugs and a replacement extended duty glow plug relay which should make a big differences to your cold starting (something that that kit does not address).

Should be able to throw in some reconditioned injectors (best ensure your injectors are good when running single tank) with new flat cut pintle nozzles (the best type for running SVO) and even an electric valve (filter mounted) to allow you to, while driving, switch in your parallel plumbed original filter when your heated filter is not able to give enough flow - due to cold waxing (see posts 16th January here- http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521076562/m/9461002272) or contamination - nice to be able to keep motoring under such conditions.

Stick a FPHE before the filters, maybe advance the injection timing 2 degrees and you've got a comprehensive single tank set-up.

www.obed.org.uk Open Biofuel Engine Development - Collaborative biofuel engine tuning.

Location: UK | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
and even an electric valve (filter mounted) to allow you to, while driving,

hi darren,

I could use one of those. ;-)
had to switch in the backup filter many times this week. 0*F today...

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are built into a M14 banjo bolt so one or the other of your filters will need to have M14 ports. Selling them for £38.84

The filter in the middle of the bottom row has one fitted to one of the ports on the left.
http://trueasset.org.uk/index.php?page=fuel-filters

Eventually I'll get round to listing them on the shop.....

www.obed.org.uk Open Biofuel Engine Development - Collaborative biofuel engine tuning.

posted Hide Post
Hey vegburner.uk,
I like the sound of your rig. Shoot me a message or post with your price and some pics would be good (kind of a visual thinker). I am looking to set up the system in the month of February and start running it in the spring. I will be doing a complete tune up on the vehicle at this time as you mentioned. So, your offer of rebuilt injectors with SVO specific nozzles is highly intriguing.

Brad

'80 MB 300CD
'81 MD 240D
'81 VW Rabbit pickup
'91 Toyota MR2

Location: North Mississippi | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brad,

I've put a page up with details - pricing to follow, currently some components are priced elsewhere on the site.

http://trueasset.org.uk/index....age=single-tank-kits

Best

Darren

posted Hide Post
Darren,
That looks like a great kit. So, I just need to get a flat panel HE and your kit has the rest? Sounds good to me. Let me know when you get a price on the kit.
Thanks,
BRad

'80 MB 300CD
'81 MD 240D
'81 VW Rabbit pickup
'91 Toyota MR2

posted Hide Post
Mississipi,

Sorry about the delay in getting back. I've been moving house and workshop and everything is up in the air.

Yes the kit just needs the addition of a FPHE. There is someone in the States who sells them cheap on ebay.

Looks like price should be about £220 for the basic kit for a 123 series Mercedes.

The type of glow plug system you have will effect the price. Do you have the older M18 threaded glow plugs or the later M12 type?

I can also price any of the kit additions in which you are interested.

Probably best to take this off forum... Best to contact me through the website.

Best

Darren

posted Hide Post
1985 300DT with Unknown Mileage
100 % SVO (about 20Kmiles)
No kit everything Stock
Big Grin

I'm in Los Angeles pretty warm all year around

posted Hide Post
Hello all

Ken the welder here. I just started this whole wvo thing. I am running a one tank system on an 87 toyota 4x4 xcab pu. I just started collecting in feb and have put about 8000 klm on straight wvo. I am not heating my tank, but I did make an inline heater out of a glowplug and a 1/4 pipe T. The toy didn't come with a lift pump so I put in an old one and it seems to be doing the job. I also rapped a 1/4" chunk of copper tubing 3' long around the turbo housing but I don't know if the air traps are worth the heat.

I'm going to PG this weekend to see the car show. I'll post how it went

Location: terrace | Registered: June 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice thread!

I have a two tank 7.3 with about 80K on veg... My Girl Friend just bought a 1984 300 TD wagon that is beautiful!

The car came with a Plant Drive single tank conversion.. (I am actually a plant drive kit installer, but the previous owner installed this one). The kit includes

1. looped return
2. Vormax heated filter
3. Vegtherm
4. Aux transfer pump... not usually used

and thats it. I was wondering if you folks in the colder climates have had any problems with fuel delivery upon initial start up when the temp is cool. IS the fuel in the cylinders hot enough with the glow plugs to return to the tank and heat the coagulated veg? What if there is a looped return? She does have a valve to send return to tank.. I guess we could do that until the veg is hot... Any thoughts?

Toph in Charlotte NC

2000 F-250 7.3 with 160,000 on WVO, probably 10,000 of that in Biodiesel, total milage of 333.333 + !!

Location: Kenya, New Orleans, Massachusetts | Registered: July 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Install a block heater.

1984 Volvo 240
Elsbett 1 tank/glow plugs/injector nozzles/FPHE/fuel filter heater system, block heater, ILH
20%Kero, 80%WVO winter blend

Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
1981 240d 20% dino 80% veg unheated , looped return, house hold water filter 10mic for fuel filter with inline cleanable filter just in case

Location: Florida | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey 240 D...

Do you mean a FPHE? What's a block heater?

2000 F-250 7.3 with 160,000 on WVO, probably 10,000 of that in Biodiesel, total milage of 333.333 + !!

Location: Kenya, New Orleans, Massachusetts | Registered: July 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tofir Mira:
What's a block heater?

www.isuzucv.com/service/engineblockheater.html

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A block heater is an electrical device (as John posted above) that fits (usually) in one of the freezer plugs of the engine block. When connected to electric power, it heats the engine coolant (and the engine, depending on how cold it is and how long it is on). Using one reduces cold start problems when using VO. It Makes starting the engine easier, and it reduces potential contamination of lube oil with VO "blow-by." There are other pre-heaters that go into coolant hoses, or are diesel powered (Webasto), and some have circulating pumps. Simple one like pictured is very cheap ($5?).

1984 Volvo 240
Elsbett 1 tank/glow plugs/injector nozzles/FPHE/fuel filter heater system, block heater, ILH
20%Kero, 80%WVO winter blend

Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futant:
79 k5 Blazer w/ 6.2L GM diesel
33 gallon plastic tank
1/2" pickup and main line to Racor 1000 filter modified to go 160 degrees
4 fatty wagon IP line heaters
going to operate all heaters on a remote so I can start them 1 -2 minutes before hitting the glowplugs and starting.
going to adjust preheat timing to outside temp and watch my fuel temp gauge on the return line to make sure that temp comes up rapidly as possible.
<--- mainly hoping the fuel pumps survive
haven't started on WVO yet, finishing centrifuge rig.
planning to run 10%diesel most months in Texas, 20% blend in the winter 3 months. May need some block heaters too for those colder days.

I have now run 150 gallons. I mix 20% diesel blend at all times.
preheat for about two minutes the IP heaters get up to 150 degrees then i glow plug and start up.
Eventually the Racor 1000 gets up to temp (approximately when engine warms up) and the ip heater circuit cycles much slower, but the temp gauge on my injector line always indicates 145 -150 degrees.
Cold starts are slightly rough for about 30 seconds.
did not do the remote thing per above entry. I just do it manually hooked on ignition (but able to be switched off if i ever have to run diesel only or have a heating issue).
I have tried looping the return , or not looping it - makes no difference so I leave it not looped now. I've ran it looped for 6 months without issue, I just feel it probably saves very little electricity and i prefer the comfort of knowing any air would be bled.
I use a low psi WALBRO 1-3 psi pusher pump back by the poly tank up to the racor. Then from the racor to the IP i use a mustang high pressure / high performance pump (most likely vane style).
So far the only issues I have had is the WALBRO FRB 7-10psi pump I had quit working after two weeks.
Please search for my other entries to see my whole story on this. I do not suggest these WALBRO pumps for any reason - they are too weak.
SINGLE TANK ALL THE WAY!

6.2L GM 1979 K5 blazer -Single tank w/electric preheaters.
Blend =66%WVO, 33% #2 diesel .
4 100watt IP line heaters
custom 160degree 300watt racor 1000 filter heater
polyeurethane 1/2" pickup
other fuel lines flouroelastimers
plastic fuel cell , Mallory 140gph gerotor fuel pump.

OC-50 dieselcraft centrifuge run by SBC gear pump -

Location: texas | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I run a 1983 Mercedes 300SD single tank blend. The mod's I have done to the car are losing the little plastic fuel pre filter and using this pre filter https://mercedessource.com/node/3329 and following up with this Standadyne FM100 fuel/water seperator https://mercedessource.com/node/2072. So far I have not required a FPHE although I am sure it may be a good idea. I blend about 140 liters cold upflow settled WVO with about 9 liters of kerosene and another 9 liters of RUG, as well as some diesel fuel treatment. Been doing this for a couple years now, no issues to date, costs about 25%-30% of pump price. I used to make biodiesel when I owned a Jetta, but this blend seems fine on the old Merc.

1983 Mercedes Benz 300SD
290,000 miles. 50K on alt fuels.

Location: North Shore Vancouver | Registered: October 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran single tank cold blends in my mostly unmodified 92 Dodge Cummins for over 7 years (added larger diameter fuel lines after about 4 years), still run a low blend in the stock fuel tank due to a well worn injection pump with almost 300,000 miles on it, it starts easier with a bit thicker fuel. I live in a colder climate and was not able to reliably run a veg blend at below freezing temps so added a second heated fuel system a couple winters ago.

THIS links to a running discussion describing my blends testing and mods made to the vehicle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
92 dodge cummins with over 260,000 miles. Running an unheated 50% diesel/50% WVO blend for about the last 75,000 miles when temps above 50 deg f, no modifications or heating except the addition of a throw-away in-line fuel filter (removed during cold weather).
As of 8-01-05 I have been testing a 75% WVO/15% gasahol (90% RUG/10% ethanol)/10% diesel blend. Works fine down to about 65 f then starts rough. Runs ok once engine warms up. Back to a 50/50 diesel blend sence 9-15-05, just to cool now. -- 11-01-05 Modified stock fuel tank internal fuel pickup to have I.D. of 3/8 inch, this eliminated cold start slow idle and bogg on acceleration. Now adding 1 ounce each of acetone and pure gum spirits of turpentine to each 5 gallons of any blend, seems to help keep the fats in solution to a lower temperature --Heated 2nd tank fuel system installed january 2010, now running on a heated blend of 90% veg/5% diesel/5% RUG (no acetone or turpentine, heat replaced these).

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post