BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  Single Tank Systems    My gas tank collapsed and is being replaced
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My gas tank collapsed and is being replaced
 Login/Join

posted
My 1985 300TD Mercedes-Benz's gas tank collapsed and the mechanic said that the evaporator lines were clogged. I filter my waste oil after it settles for a week through a 1 micron filter. I'm assuming that this is sufficient. He said that it could have been clogged from the previous owner using dirty diesel fuel. I'm the first to run it on waste vegetable oil. I don't want this to happen again so please let me know if it could be something I am doing. Many thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I filter my waste oil after it settles for a week through a 1 micron filter. I'm assuming that this is sufficient.

I wouldn't. How dry is the VO going into the vehicle tank?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is pure-very dry and relatively clean. The Japanese restaurant puts it into plastic containers inside the kitchen where I go to pick it up.

posted Hide Post
quote:
very dry

oh really, how do you KNOW this? You're merely guessing that it's dry. If guesswork is good enough then carry on.
or
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
quote:
very dry

oh really, how do you KNOW this? You're merely guessing that it's dry. If guesswork is good enough then carry on.
or
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72

Holy smoke batman! I did not know that I needed to be this scientific about it. I do not have a triple beam balance scale which I remember from high school. I also do not own a hot-plate. I will try the method shown in the first utube video that you can do in your kitchen. I will report my results. Thank you so much for the detailed information on your post. I am impressed John.

posted Hide Post
I did the hot pan test with a cast iron skillet and there was no bubbling up, just a bit of smoke.

posted Hide Post
Good results with the HPT. Do a cross check with the simple vapor test, it's easier.

posted Hide Post
Thank you.

posted Hide Post
The fueltank on my VW was partly collapsed when I got it.

I just blew it up with compressed air (not too high of pressure).

I checked for leaks the best I could (had 1 small leak I repaired not related to the collapse), and put it back on. Seems to be fine.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 1985 300TD Mercedes-Benz's gas tank collapsed and the mechanic said that the evaporator lines were clogged.

What are the evaporator lines?

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mechanic said that I am not filtering my oil enough (I filter it through a 1 micron filter) and he said that the evaporator lines were clogged and that is what caused the implosion.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sinbad:
quote:
My 1985 300TD Mercedes-Benz's gas tank collapsed and the mechanic said that the evaporator lines were clogged.

What are the evaporator lines?

I'm assuming that they provide an air exchange from the tank to the outside. I will respond this afternoon when I return from the mechanic.

posted Hide Post
If the temperatures drop below 50 F I would think some of the animal fats in the wvo could cause gelling in the lines.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post