BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  Single Tank Systems    catalytic converters and EGR valves
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

catalytic converters and EGR valves
 Login/Join

posted
Hi I have grabbed a PUG 306 turbo to run SVO
i am thinking i should remove the catalytic converter and blank the EGR.

Any input or experience would be appreciated.

Peace and blessings howie

Peace and Blessings
Howie
87/88 300D 210k
Near 50k on svo fuel heater thermostat by passed
GQY60 Nissam Patrol with TD42 donk. 390k near 80k Veggie
Tiger loop CAV 296 filter (retired still running never a fuel issue)
2005 Musso 150k near 15k WVO
1999 Musso 195k near 1500kms WVO
PUG 306 turbo about to be converted

Location: Regional South Australia  | Registered: November 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its not necessay

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is nice if you can blank the egr. The cat is more blantant removal of emissions equipment. My Jeep Liberty is 70k miles on svo I turned off the egr but I still have the cat.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are familiar with cat's you'll know there is no need to remove them.

Drop the tailpipe section off and smack a bit of metal rod or pipe into the cat and break up the ceramic honeycomb. start the engine to blow out the fragments and when you are done re-attach the tailpipe.

The cat will still be there and look exactly as it should only it won't be doing anything except acting a bit like a straight through muffler.

posted Hide Post
There's no need to smash the core either they work fine on biodiesel, unless you want the characteristic biodiesel smell when you drive by. DPF filters are a totally different story.

Blanking the EGR valve when running on biodiesel will give even more permanence, more power less smoke a win win situation. 5-7 mpg improvement, no change in driving style.

VW Passat 2.0 TDI with a BKP engine 86,000 miles on B100 and not going strong. Bio-diesel broke oil pump drive shaft! ..No oil pressure, dead turbo.

Location: Calne, Wiltshire, England | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post