blends down to what temp?

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521076562/m/4477045723

January 21, 2011, 01:18 PM
futant
blends down to what temp?
im running 33% approx diesel, 66% veg
i see some clouding at below 30* F
when will it gel, or get too thick to start.
right now it just hard starts

6.2L GM 1979 K5 blazer -Single tank w/electric preheaters.
Blend =66%WVO, 33% #2 diesel .
4 100watt IP line heaters
custom 160degree 300watt racor 1000 filter heater
polyeurethane 1/2" pickup
other fuel lines flouroelastimers
plastic fuel cell , Mallory 140gph gerotor fuel pump.

OC-50 dieselcraft centrifuge run by SBC gear pump -
January 25, 2011, 06:21 PM
ChuckDubDub
http://www.thedieselstop.com/f...g-svo-wvo-mix-28649/

I was wondering the same thing, and stumbled across this link above. It's pretty cold here in the northeast this past week, so blending is not for the faint of heart!

-Chuck
January 25, 2011, 07:50 PM
john galt

January 25, 2011, 08:32 PM
ChuckDubDub
So this is pretty interesting. How do you interpret cloud point with regard to an appropriate mix? I guess it doesn't take viscosity into account, this is more like "when it will plug everything up," which is critical info of course!
January 25, 2011, 08:47 PM
john galt
quote:
So this is pretty interesting. How do you interpret cloud point with regard to an appropriate mix?

I adjust the mix to the cloud point temperature for the temperature extreme expected. That way there is a bit of a 'safety margin' w.r.t. gel point temperature when it's colder than expected. My truck has an inline IP so I'm not that concerned about viscosity.

January 25, 2011, 09:11 PM
ChuckDubDub
Great info.

--... ...--

-.. .

.-- .---- -.-. . .--
January 26, 2011, 06:12 AM
DN
I continue to run with about 60% vo down into the teens(F).

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.
February 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
jburke
A couple cold weather tips for blenders and single tankers:

I have run 40 -50% WVO as low as mid teens * F in my Elsbett VW TDI.

1. Start with 2 or 3 glow plug cycles.
2. Let the engine warm up to 120*F before driving. Several times the engine has started, but stall a mile or so down the road because the fuel is too thick to pass through the filter.
3. Add a marine fuel tank hand 'ball pump' inline with the fuel before the filter to allow you to force feed fuel into the filter. Also helps with bleeding air after f.f. change.
4. A second fuel filter, in parallel with the first with a shutoff valve can be enabled when very cold to add second source of fuel when very cold.
5. I found starting fluid thats made for gas AND DIESELS recently. Keep a can on hand for a worst case scenario. Don't allow g.p.'s to get hot, and only squirt 1/4 second burst.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE
March 24, 2011, 08:11 AM
Nathan
As Spring is here in TN.with lows still sometimes in the 30s I'm back to 40% veggie oil mixed with diesel.Also using heat,helps to offset cost of diesel fuel.If I had a heated pickup and lines,I'd run 50%.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nathan,

126 diesels yahoo groups
83 SD straight exhaust 94 Cobra
Cold air,real cold.Cobra electric radiator fan,Monark nozzles,10 psi electric fuel pump.85 amp alternator 12" subs.23 psi boost, 30 micron filter,an 5 micron filter added
2 tank,wvo,boost guage ,line heaters,coolant heater Fattywagons customer. 99 S320 with 75 more hp.
January 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
futant
quote:
Originally posted by jburke:
A couple cold weather tips for blenders and single tankers:

I have run 40 -50% WVO as low as mid teens * F in my Elsbett VW TDI.

1. Start with 2 or 3 glow plug cycles.
2. Let the engine warm up to 120*F before driving. Several times the engine has started, but stall a mile or so down the road because the fuel is too thick to pass through the filter.
3. Add a marine fuel tank hand 'ball pump' inline with the fuel before the filter to allow you to force feed fuel into the filter. Also helps with bleeding air after f.f. change.
4. A second fuel filter, in parallel with the first with a shutoff valve can be enabled when very cold to add second source of fuel when very cold.
5. I found starting fluid thats made for gas AND DIESELS recently. Keep a can on hand for a worst case scenario. Don't allow g.p.'s to get hot, and only squirt 1/4 second burst.

I tried number 1 today, and I think it helped.
I've been debating a lot about going to dual tank recently due to winter performance.
Some of these tips just may make the difference.

I think the folly in dual tanks is that you still have to blend in the winter. Which is what i wanted to get out of . I just hate the whole complication of dual tanks. I guess the real deciding factor here for me should be that I won't ultimately put that many miles on this 4x4 truck.

I think what I may do is this - 50% blend in the winter (at most), install a block heater, use your tips here, have my racor 1000 heater going before starting, use my ip line heaters when it's started up. That should get me down into the teens according to what you guys posted. I don't know , shiiit I live in Texas ! I've run 66% blend all year, and only had two days it was too cold to start the truck. 66% blend is just too hard to start though in the winter, it makes me nervous.

6.2L GM 1979 K5 blazer -Single tank w/electric preheaters.
Blend =66%WVO, 33% #2 diesel .
4 100watt IP line heaters
custom 160degree 300watt racor 1000 filter heater
polyeurethane 1/2" pickup
other fuel lines flouroelastimers
plastic fuel cell , Mallory 140gph gerotor fuel pump.

OC-50 dieselcraft centrifuge run by SBC gear pump -
January 12, 2012, 01:35 PM
john galt
To improve cold starting with blends below freezing temperature add up to 10% gasoline. I run single tank blends all winter to 30 below zero with nothing but plug-in preheating and a FPHE.

January 30, 2012, 08:11 PM
jburke
I second the 10% gasoline recommendation. Or kerosene over diesel #2.
Don't go over 10% gasoline. I did this summer and got vapor lock climbing hills

October 29, 2015, 10:03 PM
les keck
I I run single tank 60 %WVO 20% RUG 20% Diesel. With FPHE.1. Works good year round. Does anyone run 20% RUG or higher in any temperature?
2. When I turn on the heat to the FPHE (motor runs 170 degrees) on wide open I have injectors stop working. Have had to replace injectors. Anyone had this problem?
October 30, 2015, 02:23 PM
jburke
Les,

Look in the Blending Forum for info on % of RUG used.

Only way to know about the injectors is to disassemble them and inspect for the failure.

I would expect that with the 20% RUG and working FPHE @ 170*F, and at 'wide open' you would get air bubbles from the ethanol in the RUG leading to vapor lock and the engine dying.

Why did you replace the injectors?

Reporting the engine type would help.

October 30, 2015, 09:23 PM
les keck
When I first started I mixed E85 and ate up the injectors. (There was black rubber coming back thru the system and plugging filters). So now only pure gas. Its a 3126b caterpiller. I don't have this problem on my DT466. I'm wanting to try 30% RUG 70% UWO year around but afraid of burning up engine
October 30, 2015, 09:26 PM
les keck
I need to make this clear. No heat on the DT466 and only get problems with full heat on the Cat motor. Other than that its a good mix. Starts and runs good
October 30, 2015, 11:24 PM
john galt
quote:
Originally posted by jburke: I would expect that with the 20% RUG and working FPHE @ 170*F, and at 'wide open' you would get air bubbles from the ethanol in the RUG leading to vapor lock and the engine dying.

Premium grade road gasoline in Canada generally has no ethanol. The percents of ethanol in the other grades is posted on the pumps. For blending I use premium or av-gas, or jetB/jetA when available.

October 31, 2015, 04:08 PM
les keck
I live in the southern part of Oklahoma so it doesn't get that cold