Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mixing VO and Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone tryed to mix biodiesel and VO?
What percentage?
I run a Dodge Ram.
Thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone tryed to mix biodiesel and VO?
What percentage?
I've been running a mix of 50% ULSD, 25% BD, 25% VO for a few years now in a Toyota TDI. The best VO is used for vehicle fuel and the rest is made into BD or woodstove fuel. In the winter jetB [helicopter fuel] is added to the mix.

Plug-in preheating and a FPHE fuel heater were added, everything else is stock. It's been 100% reliable through bitterly cold winters and hot summers. Simplicity and reliability are more important than the amount of money I might save with more VO in the mix.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
In the winter jetB [helicopter fuel] is added to the mix.
Just a slight correction.
Jet B is not "Helicopter fuel". For example it would not be used in a helicopter that has a gasoline engine.
Jet B, also called "wide cut" is a distillate Jet Fuel covering both the naphtha and kerosene fractions, Unlike the more commonly used Jet A and Jet A1 which is a Jet distillate fuel made from only kerosene.
Jet B was originally developed to facilitate maximum jet fuel production per gallon of Crude refined.
For a number of years it was the jet fuel used by the USAF where it was called JP 4.
All the USAF Jet aircraft in the Vietnam War used JP 4 (Jet B)
A major drawback to Jet B/ JP 4 is it's very low flash point compared to Jet A/ Jet A1 making it a much higher fire danger. JP 4 (Jet B) has been withdrawn from use by the US military.

Jet B/JP 4 is no longer widely available except in very cold locations such as Northern Canada and Alaska where it's lower Cloud point is advantageous.