BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Algae  Hop To Forums  Algae Biodiesel    Why Algae is Stupid and Will Never Work
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Algae is Stupid and Will Never Work
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Sure, it might not make sense now. But think of all that technological advances that have been made even in the last quarter century. We are just planning for the future!

Clean and Green Baby

posted Hide Post
We've never lacked the technology to solve our energy problems.
What's still lacking is the public will to pay more for clean renewable energy.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
We've never lacked the technology to solve our energy problems.
What's still lacking is the public will to pay more for clean renewable energy.

I agree to a point but there is a lot more to it.

In first world countries where space is not an issue there is a huge wasted resource in garbage.
If you look at places where land and resources are scarce, they treat garbage as an assett not a waste product. There are immense amounts of energy that are able to be extracted from everyday garbage including liquid fuels which are cheap and easy to recover and the technology is already in place to do it on a commercial scale.

It is being one successfully in a lot of places where it is profitable but in the US and other countries, I think the money train means these types of technologies will never amount to more than lip service. One of the reasons I have been enlightened to this from first hand accounts is in Grants. There is lots of money to be made in researching Algae for instance because it's not a done thing yet to any degree but there are various workable technologies for extracting energy from garbage.

It can even be done at a end user price cheaper than that of producing oil but then you get all sorts of interests and unforeseen reasons why many are more than satisfied to keep things the way they are now... IE, MONEY or more specifically, lost profits.

For this reason none of these technologies will ever become common place in countries like the US where vested interests will see that they remain nothing more than novelties until the profit in oil is exhausted.

I have successfully cracked Plastic, WMO and WVO in my back yard to a very useable and viable fuel so there is no reason it can't be done and there are commercial plants available. If people are really so gugng ho about new energy sources and saving the planet etc, why are they not making the most of what can be done right now instead of trying to develop something they know won't be ready for years?

When there is no more landfill and garbage and all the rubbish is being used for energy or recycling then there is a reason to really worry about algae etc but right now it's throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I have mags like popular science that were touting new energy systems back 30+ years ago and yet not one single thing in that time has changed to any significance. They knew how to do things back then and there was always a bright, hopeful clean picture painted but nothing has come of it in all this time. Seems to me it's just a load of BS to keep the worlds population happy and hopeful and disguise the real greed and profiteering that's taking place every day.

I don't expect anything to change for a long while to come yet.