BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Two pipe port and heater spear. (Personal Album)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Two pipe port and heater spear.
 Login/Join

by Joe_M (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Nuculer asked me to post some pictures of the setup with the 2 tube thing and a heater spear.<BR>This is a re-post of the earlier one to hopefully allow comments.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Joe_M,

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, there is a limited amount of text space for picture captions. Here is the rest of the text:
Picture 5: Put the sealer on the O ring and threads and screw the element into the cap backwards. I tapped the hole in the cap to 1 inch pipe thread, that is the size of the threads on a water heater element. Then screw the cap onto the nipple.
Picture 6: The element and elbow fits through the 2 inch bung on a barrel. That is why I like to use plastic drums, they have 2- two inch bungs. I know, on a metal drum, I could always remove the heater when the oil is to temp and put in the tubes, but that's messy. The whole idea of this setup is clean and easy. Sealed too.
Picture 7: The electrical elbows have the same thread size as plumbing fittings, only straight pipe, not tapered. I suppose I could have used the smaller electrical elbows on the bottom, but I dont trust the rubber gasket to be leak proof.
That's my setup. Like I said, I went to this because I was tired of 20 gallon batches with my original propane tank processor. I also wanted to make it without the need for welding or special machining, so that others who don't have access to that kind of equipment could replicate it. It's also very inexpensive. I know not every one can tap a one inch hole in a pipe cap, but I might be coerced into making a few for those people who can't do it. Any comments? Lots of people have viewed it, but no comments. Nuculer? You're the one who asked me to post pictures. Comments? Smile

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C'mon people! No comments? Confused

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe_M:
Nuculer asked me to post some pictures of the setup with the 2 tube thing and a heater spear.
This is a re-post of the earlier one to hopefully allow comments.

Joe,

I like the ideas you are using... would love to talk to you further about this.... email? Phone?

Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBruce:
Joe,

I like the ideas you are using... would love to talk to you further about this.... email? Phone?

Finally, a comment! After 227 views! Thanks Bruce.
My e-mail is in my personal profile, but you can go ahead and ask questions here. Why deprive others of the benefit of a lively discussion? Ask away. or e-mail and I'll give you my phone number. Smile

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures and the great ideas.I will be asking my welder friend to help me today.

posted Hide Post
I can't add a comment to my own post? I tried adding another photo to the album but it wouldn't let me. this is the error message 'We are unable to complete your request at this time. Please try again later.' Hopefully the picture posting ability will be fixed soon. Shaun? Smile

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, there is a limited amount of text space for picture captions. Here is the rest of the text:
Picture 5: Put the sealer on the O ring and threads and screw the element into the cap backwards. I tapped the hole in the cap to 1 inch pipe thread, that is the size of the threads on a water heater element. Then screw the cap onto the nipple.
Picture 6: The element and elbow fits through the 2 inch bung on a barrel. That is why I like to use plastic drums, they have 2- two inch bungs. I know, on a metal drum, I could always remove the heater when the oil is to temp and put in the tubes, but that's messy. The whole idea of this setup is clean and easy. Sealed too.
Picture 7: The electrical elbows have the same thread size as plumbing fittings, only straight pipe, not tapered. I suppose I could have used the smaller electrical elbows on the bottom, but I dont trust the rubber gasket to be leak proof.
That's my setup. Like I said, I went to this because I was tired of 20 gallon batches with my original propane tank processor. I also wanted to make it without the need for welding or special machining, so that others who don't have access to that kind of equipment could replicate it. It's also very inexpensive. I know not every one can tap a one inch hole in a pipe cap, but I might be coerced into making a few for those people who can't do it. Any comments? Lots of people have viewed it, but no comments. Nuculer? You're the one who asked me to post pictures. Comments? Smile

joe i would love one of your tapped caps.
i wpuld really like to make one of these spears

Location: Phishland | Registered: March 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OB1 CANOLA:

I have an iron one. Tapped to 1 inch pipe of course. E-mail me or post here. Glad to help. Smile

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by OB1 CANOLA:

I have an iron one. Tapped to 1 inch pipe of course. E-mail me or post here. Glad to help. Smile

I would love it.
email me at booking@thehubcats.com
I will send you my mailing address..

thanks

Location: Phishland | Registered: March 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
Fasckinating ! Simply faasckinating (no typo,intentional) Very inventive there Joe.
I think the problem with no posts is that when the page opens it goes staright to the gallery and folks don't know to click on "Comments".
Maybe you ought to hook up with Graydon and you two could market these? Just a thought.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Joe I am building an immersion heater that's very similar to your heater spear. I ended up welding a one inch pipe nut on to a 2" coupling. Your way is a lot simpler.

I noticed that your wire looks like it is an extension cord. Do you ever use your spear as a dewaterer (Spell?)? I am very concerned about the heat generated from my immersion heater inside the black pipe. Thhp insulated wire is only rated to 205c. So if I heat my oil to about 250-300 degrees f should I be concerned? Higher temp wire is available but I am having trouble locating it locally.

Thanks for making this whole project fun.

Location: Central Texas | Registered: May 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Legal Eagle,
Thanks for the nice comments. Market these? I don't have time to market these! Although I am not adverse to helping out a few fellow BDers. I thought you didn't like plastic reactors? I tried to make this set-up easliy duplicated by newbies or those lacking welding skills or resources.

Reggie,
The wire is heavy duty 12/3 wire purchased at Home Depot. It comes in black, orange and yellow. I put the special plug on the end so it can't be plugged into a normal outlet. A dewaterer? No, I've never used it like that. I routinely boil water that is sitting under BD with it, however. THHN wire may be rated for a higher temp, but it is individual wires, not three inside a covering. Useable, but a bit inconvienient. Glad to help! Smile

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Legal Eagle,
Thanks for the nice comments. Market these? I don't have time to market these! Although I am not adverse to helping out a few fellow BDers. I thought you didn't like plastic reactors? I tried to make this set-up easliy duplicated by newbies or those lacking welding skills or resources.

Eagle, Sorry, it wasn't you, it was SouthernYankee that doesn't like plastic reactors. I re-read the fuelmeister thread and saw that. A thousand apologies! Red Face

But you should see my new plastic tanks! 24 inches in diameter and 77 inches tall. 150 gallons! About 1/2 inch thick walls HDPE like the barrels. Can't wait to make some BD in these! Big Grin Smile

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
1210 views, but not many comments? I hope this album is helping someone out there! Smile

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
interesting this doesn't have the normal reply..
any way.
I hope you looked at wire sizing. 12/3 is ok for 120v operation but not 240v...

that aside I would like to thank you for posting the details on how to make the heat spear. I have now bought the parts to make mine.

thanks

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
re: dkenny 'interesting this doesn't have the normal reply..'

Yeah, I was just using the 'reply with quote' then deleting stuff. Today I noticed an icon in the green bar at the bottom of the page to the right (underneath the reply w/qoute and report this thread icon). It is a quick reply icon. I think it has something to do with this being an album. The regular reply icon is not there to prevent others from posting pictures in someone else's album. No smileys in the quick reply either.
Yeah 12 gauge is marginal (25 amps at 220 volts) but the wire doesn't get warm. Smile
Hey!, I just noticed the little quick reply flag over each picture when you hold the mouse cursor over it.
Smileys are back when I edit the post too. Smile

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
Branw,
Here is the posting to the heater spear. HTH Joe

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
I have recently posted several links to this album, so I thought i'd bump it to make it easier to find. I may be adding pictures of the new 150 gallon processor soon. Smile

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com