BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Burner and Filters (Personal Album)

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts

Closed Album Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Burner and Filters
 Login/Join

by fabman (created on )Gallery | Comments 
this is my burner running on half diesel and half home brew.

Location: cincinnati,ohio | Registered: March 09, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fabman:
this is my burner running on half diesel and half home brew.

how did you build that one? how does it work?

Man, this is just such a nice-looking system!!!!! what a nice job.

I assume you're careful about methoxide fumes and an open flame of course. How are you mixing methoxide- ie how is lye added, and what mixes it ?
what has this stuff cost you so far- it looks like semi-commercial sort of equipment. I aspire to learn to do things this nicely at some point.

Mark

Location: Pittsboro, North Carolina | Registered: March 07, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
hi Mark
thanks for the head swelling coments i dont know if i can even get my through the door now!!!as of now i have about 3500.00 in materials i bought the bag filters from ebay for 100.00 each.the blue pump was also from ebay its air operated and can pump 1/2" solids .i'm going to use it to pump the wvo into the heating tank and to pump from my wash tank and put it in my storage tank outside.everything is sealed so i shouldnt have any fumes inside.the burner itself is going to be on the outside of the shed and draw its air from there.as to the side of the tank that you see the flame,i'm going to build a exhaust that will vent to the outside.the heated boiler will serve alot of purposes like heating my sidewalks and part of my driveway to keep the snow and ice off.it will be run through the concrete with pex tubing.i know pretty lazy dont ya think.anyhow the lye will be added to the top of the center tank and i have a air mixer to mix it up.i have a diagram of what i did but how do i post another picture on this thread or do i have to start another thats why i didnt put these pictures with the others that i posted earlier. BTW your my HERO!!!!
i cant beleive how much time you spend helping all of us to get on the right path to making biodiesel.
James.

posted Hide Post
awww, thanks. I think there's a lot of niceties flying around on the forums tonight, and I also think I can probably speak for a few frequent contributors and say that it's fun and rewarding to give advice and participate in the forums- so no great thanks is necessary- I think we all enjoy watching others' progress and discussing this stuff.

Anyway, when you say 'air pump' for the methoxide mixer- are you talking about an air POWERED pump like the blue one you've got, or an air powered propeller mixer, or something else?

and, how does the burner work- or did you post that already in antoehr thread and I missed it?
Take care,
mark

Location: Pittsboro, North Carolina | Registered: March 07, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark
the mixer is a air powered propeller it turns some major rpm's
and i have the air powered pump to move the liquids around to other tanks
the burner is a oil fired burner that is mounted in a 8"tube shaped elbow this elbow is welded inside of the square tank.the flame shoots through the elbow and heats the water in the boiler and then hits the bottom of the round tank.the bottom of the round tank is 1/4" stainless and man does it get hot.i tried it out the other day with no liquid in the tank and it sucked the bottom of the tank down about an inch
and the legs on the tank spread outward and fell off the platform.kind of scary when your welding something else with your helmet down.i think i jump 5 foot in the air.anyhow i wont be running it anymore till i get it bolted down and put some oil in it.
do you know how i can add more pictures to what i already have on this thread.
thanks james

posted Hide Post
FABMAN -- When you say "oil fired burner" do you mean that you adapted a commercial burner setup from an oil fired furnace or did you build something from scratch.

Beautiful workmanship and setup -- WELL DONE

---------------------------------------------------------------------
92 dodge cummins with over 260,000 miles. Running an unheated 50% diesel/50% WVO blend for about the last 75,000 miles when temps above 50 deg f, no modifications or heating except the addition of a throw-away in-line fuel filter (removed during cold weather).
As of 8-01-05 I have been testing a 75% WVO/15% gasahol (90% RUG/10% ethanol)/10% diesel blend. Works fine down to about 65 f then starts rough. Runs ok once engine warms up. Back to a 50/50 diesel blend sence 9-15-05, just to cool now. -- 11-01-05 Modified stock fuel tank internal fuel pickup to have I.D. of 3/8 inch, this eliminated cold start slow idle and bogg on acceleration. Now adding 1 ounce each of acetone and pure gum spirits of turpentine to each 5 gallons of any blend, seems to help keep the fats in solution to a lower temperature --Heated 2nd tank fuel system installed january 2010, now running on a heated blend of 90% veg/5% diesel/5% RUG (no acetone or turpentine, heat replaced these).

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Report This Post

posted Hide Post
TIM thank's
it's a plain oil furnace burner.

posted Hide Post
Fabman, did you have to change the nozzel in the end of the burner to get the mix to spray through?
and do you use the electric ignition to light it or some other means?
Ive got an one of those burners (old as the hills) but the electrodes are shot or what sends power to them.

posted Hide Post
wanna
it's brand new and i haven't touched a thing on it so far it starts as soon as i hit the switch.when i get more time i'll start running more bio than diesel.right now its 50/50
james

posted Hide Post
So, What sort of pump is it that you are using? Could you tell me a bit more about it, ie where'd ya buy it, what applications are you using it for?

Location: Pittsboro, NC | Registered: January 31, 2005Report This Post