BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Speedy oil moisture tester (Personal Album)

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts

Closed Album Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Speedy oil moisture tester
 Login/Join

by Ant (created on )Gallery | Comments 
A few pics Of the Ashworth Speedy Moisture tester findable from resellers with a google search at about $1000 or £700 new or on ebay every so often for less.

You want the one for oils but the main difference is that the oils one uses a syringe instead of a scale to measure the sample. If you find a secondhand soil one I can always pass on the calibration of the syringe for you to duplicate.

The size of the testing chamber also varies and the % moisture calibrated on the dial can also vary and go as high as 50%. That one is for testing concret aggregates.

Ashworth
Sycamore Avenue
Burnley
Lancs
BB12 6QR
England
Tel ++44 0282 39911
Telex 635520
Fax 38729

Can't vouch the numbers will be up to date this was taken from a manual written in the 1980's.

Ahworths invented and developed this method in the 1930's. They are still in business and seem to have an established global niche market. They make other equipment too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ant,

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ant,
That SS tank is a "Porter Lancastrian". Typical beer serving vessel. The fittings are "DIN" fittings. they use a hard teflon gasket between the beveled surfaces. Try to find a used brewery equipment supplier. You can also try to find "tri-clover" fittings for that tank. I used to use a tank almost exactly like that to propagate yeast at my old brewery.

Location: Austin, TX, USA | Registered: April 19, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by runonbeer:
Ant,
That SS tank is a "Porter Lancastrian". Typical beer serving vessel. The fittings are "DIN" fittings.

Thanks I got it from an ex dairy farmer so just assumed they were dairy. I'm sure your right though because the vessel is pressure rated to 30psi SWP which makes a lot more sense for beer than for diary.

quote:

they use a hard teflon gasket between the beveled surfaces.

Correct
quote:

Try to find a used brewery equipment supplier. You can also try to find "tri-clover" fittings for that tank.
snip

Is that a brand name?

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

posted Hide Post
I took some sample fittings to my local S/S pipe merchants and either DIN and RJT are thread compatible or these are RJT.

(Ring Joint Type)

They also have a mixture of IDF (some kind of dairy fitting) thrown in as well.

I feel better now I have found wmewhere that stocks (expensive) bits for them.

I need to get my brazing hearth set up and learn to braze though.

All the bits come as ends which have to be welded or brazed onto plain fittings. What a pain.

I can see the attraction of flanges with clamps now. Less parts to keep on hand. Any two ends the same size will fit. None of ths "If only that were a female/male at that end".

If I can start brazing though I can reuse the bits I have to make most of what I need and buy more when What I have runs out.

Brazing has the advantage of letting you join different metals together so I can just adapt some stuff to standard black iron fittings (maybe).

posted Hide Post
SS brazes to black iron quite easily, but be careful the flame (if using a torch) is "reducing" (less than perfect mixture, on the fuel-rich side but not smoking) or the resulting stainless steel oxide layer will prevent the braze material from wetting and sticking to the surface. I just use "Brazo" flux and regular "brass" brazing rod on steel, iron and stainless steel. The biodiesel chemicals don't seem to affect it enough to worry about. I suspect, but have not tested, the new epoxy replacement for copper pipe joint soldering might work well on stainless steel, and still be compatible with biodiesel chemicals. Test before committing though.

I frequently find dairy fittings at my local scrap yard, and recently bought two 300-gallon milk tanks for storing wvo in this winter. There appears to be no market for used dairy equipment.

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, tri-clover is a brand name. but it's not the only game in town.

posted Hide Post
Ant said: "assumed they were dairy. I'm sure your right though because the vessel is pressure rated to 30psi SWP which makes a lot more sense for beer than for diary."

But actually, most of our fermentors/conditioning tanks were cherry-burrel dairy tanks constructed between 1940-1955 and we use them for pressure all the time.
I think they all come with some nominal working pressure rating.

I have no clue what an RTJ fitting is, you limey's over the pond come up w/ some crazy names for things (j/k Smile )

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johno:
SS brazes to black iron quite easily, but be careful the flame (if using a torch) Snip

I missed the significance of this the first time round. How else can you braze besides with a torch?

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication